Smart Enclosure Setup:)

DebbiLynn

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Hello TFO Friends,

I haven't posted in a while, but I am on here almost daily; reading and learning. Pluto, my little Eastern Hermann's will be 4 months old on 8/24/20. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. His previous enclosure was a 3'L x 2'W x 2'6"H plastic container with full lighting setup and timers, completely covered with a thin clear plastic painters tarp draped over the entire setup.... It wasn't very pretty, but it did work well keeping the temps and humidity as recommended per @Tom on his Temperate Care Sheet. (Which I refer to so often that I almost know by heart)

Well, I have to brag on Pluto's new 4' x 2' x 2'.6" Smart Enclosure (Complete Setup) I purchased from @Markw84. I am so happy with it; I could go on and on and on... I must say, it's not just an enclosure, it's a very nice piece of furniture. If I didn't already have a flatscreen TV stand, this would be it because it 'should' be the main focal point of my family room.

Mark's enclosures are SO easy to put together and set up. (I did it by myself and I am very assembly/electrical/technical challenged). I did have some issues with getting the basking temp correct. I previously used a basking spot-bulb, and now using the preferred BR30 65w bulb, and I had to figure out getting the temps and humidity as close to perfect as possible. After 3 days of monitoring the temps; adjusting the height of the BR30 bulb, the position/height of overheat thermostat sensor, and how much to open the 'well designed' vents, ~now it's running right on point. (Ambient temp 85, basking area temp 96 - 102 (the rock has a slight incline), humidity 75 - 88, and nighttime temp 70 - 73.

I think Pluto loves his new home because rather than hiding, he immediately started exploring. He's never been so out and about, nor has he ever just stretched out and napped right out in the open:) THANK YOU MARK!!!

104F2857-1346-45F9-A6DA-AF7B94843A3F_1_105_c.jpeg

D59EEF21-A83F-47FE-9465-188E5A4E18FC_1_105_c.jpeg72997D16-9BCD-4BB4-9651-FAEB28126560_1_105_c.jpegFBEE5489-27A7-4CCD-832C-EF226FD4FC04_1_105_c.jpeg2093C8E1-AA97-4DDF-BFD1-BC2DDFA140CB_1_105_c.jpeg

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
where did you get your tort from? Almost the exact hatch date as mine.. What length is your baby?

DebbiLynn

Austin, Texas
I got him from Randy Betz/TortStork... I received him on 5/21/20, and he was 1" 6/16th (width of shell) and weighed 17.62 grams. As of this morning he is 2" 3/16th wide, and weighs 56.69 grams.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
I got him from Randy Betz/TortStork... I received him on 5/21/20, and he was 1" 6/16th (width of shell) and weighed 17.62 grams. As of this morning he is 2" 3/16th wide, and weighs 56.69 grams.
Width? Typically you measure shell head to tail

DebbiLynn

Austin, Texas
Thank you... I purchased the Smart Enclosure from @Markw84. Reach out to him; he's very informative, and wonderful to do business with.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For exacting measurements use a pencil(pen or marker) and paper. Trace the shell outline and add the date and weight then you can easily compare!

Lyssa444

Gardena
Hello TFO Friends,

I haven't posted in a while, but I am on here almost daily; reading and learning. Pluto, my little Eastern Hermann's will be 4 months old on 8/24/20. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. His previous enclosure was a 3'L x 2'W x 2'6"H plastic container with full lighting setup and timers, completely covered with a thin clear plastic painters tarp draped over the entire setup.... It wasn't very pretty, but it did work well keeping the temps and humidity as recommended per @Tom on his Temperate Care Sheet. (Which I refer to so often that I almost know by heart)

Well, I have to brag on Pluto's new 4' x 2' x 2'.6" Smart Enclosure (Complete Setup) I purchased from @Markw84. I am so happy with it; I could go on and on and on... I must say, it's not just an enclosure, it's a very nice piece of furniture. If I didn't already have a flatscreen TV stand, this would be it because it 'should' be the main focal point of my family room.

Mark's enclosures are SO easy to put together and set up. (I did it by myself and I am very assembly/electrical/technical challenged). I did have some issues with getting the basking temp correct. I previously used a basking spot-bulb, and now using the preferred BR30 65w bulb, and I had to figure out getting the temps and humidity as close to perfect as possible. After 3 days of monitoring the temps; adjusting the height of the BR30 bulb, the position/height of overheat thermostat sensor, and how much to open the 'well designed' vents, ~now it's running right on point. (Ambient temp 85, basking area temp 96 - 102 (the rock has a slight incline), humidity 75 - 88, and nighttime temp 70 - 73.

I think Pluto loves his new home because rather than hiding, he immediately started exploring. He's never been so out and about, nor has he ever just stretched out and napped right out in the open:) THANK YOU MARK!!!

View attachment 302091

View attachment 302092View attachment 302093View attachment 302094View attachment 302095
Hello, I was wondering how were you able to keep the temp remaining the same? I also have the same enclosure and not quite able to get it to stay around 85. The temp will rise up to 104F. I’m not sure how to really use the temp panels. I had bought a zoomed basking light that’s 50 watts. Thank you:)