Small turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I want an aquatic turtle but I can only accommodate a small turtle. I am looking for something a little exotic. ie not muds or musks. If you guys know any I would love to know.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Not many out there besides mud and musk that stay that small

Exotic too like from where? Mexico exotic?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
adamlikesbananas said:
Southern painted turtles are fairly small and only get like 6 inches max.

Yeah i have a southern painted and he stayed small. He is pretty exotix, adorable and fun to watch! Fully reccomended

bmt123

5 Year Member
I do really want a spotted and might get one but I have to first figure out a way to own one legally here in nc.

How deep do southern painteds need there water.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I thought that maps got really big. What are some species that stay smaller.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Texas and cagles map turtle stay smaller 3-4 inches for males and 6-8" for females on average. Cagles are my personal favorite

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Im the opposite....I really, really want a mud turtle. I think they are absolutely adoreable and have always wanted one. But I do not want to mess with an aquatic set up. It's just not for me.

Otherwise, a spotted is also a great option if you can have one of those. Where I live I can not keep spotteds.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Why only 8 inches of water how big do you plan to have as far and enclosure, you would probably wont close to a 60 gallon for adult maps, my razor backs I have in a 40 and they are doing great, grow slow and look cool, they are easy to care for and very fun to keep.

If you want something more exotic there are big headed turtles, they are cool but more exotic you go, the more expensive they get and more or less the harder the care gets less hardy,

As far aquatic set up for mud or musk, it's not as bad as it seems, just as much work as keeping tortoises indoor IMO. Hardest part is getting it up an running where the bacteria is doing all the work. Then partial water changes every few days easy

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Why not look for the red-cheeked mud turtle, it might be a mud turtle, but looks awesome. It stays small as well.

bmt123

5 Year Member
The reason I ask about the water depth is I am going to be making a sort if indoor pond. But I changed the plans so it can accommodate 10".

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Depends on the turtle if it was like a map go a little deeper mud musk turtles don't need it that deep, spotted turtles are not the best swimmers either.

Ps red cheek musk, or white lipped MUDs are cool and are not super rare but not the most common musk turtles

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Red Cheeks are awesome! They are not rare but I didn't see many of them last year, guess will see how this year turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.