Small turtle and altitude

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I am new here and I hope this is the right place to go with my question. Anyway, in a day or two I am going up to Hendersonville NC for a few days, and I was wondering if my quite small turtle would be fine going along. I am currently 30ft above sea level, and where I am going is around 2,300ft above sea level. About halfway on the drive to my destination I am going to stop for the night, and the next day continue on. I wanted to know if my turtle woould be fine for the drive and the duration of my stay. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to keep him comfortable and happy.

South Carolina
I have tried to get someone to watch him, but unfortunately no one I have asked wants to take care of him.
[/QUOTE
Quite honestly traveling with a turtle isn't optimal, could you possible leave i
Quite honestly traveling with a turtle isn't optimal, could you possible leave it home with someone to take care of it while you are away?
I have tried to get someone to watch him, but unfortunately no one I have asked wants to take care of him. I truly do not mean to sound rude or pushy when I ask this, but if it came down to it, would it be safe to bring him along.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A lot of the members here don't agree with hauling your chelonia along a road trip, but I used to travel always with animals. I'd use a dark box with a lid for the travel. Take a plastic bin for putting him in, at the motel. Bring several gallons of water and a CHE. Set him up for the night. If you want you could bring a UVB light. Anyhow that's what I'd do

South Carolina
A lot of the members here don't agree with hauling your chelonia along a road trip, but I used to travel always with animals. I'd use a dark box with a lid for the travel. Take a plastic bin for putting him in, at the motel. Bring several gallons of water and a CHE. Set him up for the night. If you want you could bring a UVB light. Anyhow that's what I'd do
Thank you very much and I am very sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you very much and I am very sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.
Caused me inconvenience? Heck no! Most people on this Forum understand that I have opinions, and I keep chelonia a mite different then most. I wasn't kidding, I would travel with tortoises and my cat or I didn't go. My opinion is that if you take him, you need to go out of your way to keep him safe, and in a healthy way. Lights, heat, water from home, food but he probably won't eat

South Carolina
Caused me inconvenience? Heck no! Most people on this Forum understand that I have opinions, and I keep chelonia a mite different then most. I wasn't kidding, I would travel with tortoises and my cat or I didn't go. My opinion is that if you take him, you need to go out of your way to keep him safe, and in a healthy way. Lights, heat, water from home, food but he probably won't eat
Thank you again for your input, it is greatly appreciated:)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I am new here and I hope this is the right place to go with my question. Anyway, in a day or two I am going up to Hendersonville NC for a few days, and I was wondering if my quite small turtle would be fine going along. I am currently 30ft above sea level, and where I am going is around 2,300ft above sea level. About halfway on the drive to my destination I am going to stop for the night, and the next day continue on. I wanted to know if my turtle woould be fine for the drive and the duration of my stay. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to keep him comfortable and happy.
What kind of turtle are you asking about travelling with?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
When I was in college and moving from Kansas City to South Carolina I had to travel with 28 turtles. Mostly box turtles, but some leaf turtles and a spotted turtle. I made them an apt building out of cardboard with windows and all and they traveled just fine. Some would stick their heads out of the windows and watch. All arrived safely and then into their more permanent habitats and lived a long time. So it can be done. Probably better set ups now a days, I am talking the late 70's.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
When I was in college and moving from Kansas City to South Carolina I had to travel with 28 turtles. Mostly box turtles, but some leaf turtles and a spotted turtle. I made them an apt building out of cardboard with windows and all and they traveled just fine. Some would stick their heads out of the windows and watch. All arrived safely and then into their more permanent habitats and lived a long time. So it can be done. Probably better set ups now a days, I am talking the late 70's.
I got a good chuckle envisioning curious turtles sticking their heads out of cardboard apartment building windows watching the countryside go by.