Small Testudo hermanni hermanni (such as the Mt. Etna subspecies) life expectancy?

HonestlyVitali

Location (City and/or State)
Japan
Hello, everyone! I'm new here. I am considering getting a tortoise, and I am researching to see if they are right for me. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I hope you can help me!

One of the more frustrating things about researching tortoises is the lack of information on lifespans! I see everything from 35 years to 125 years. I know lifespan will depend on care, food, genetics, etc, so it's hard to get a good idea. However, I was hoping someone could narrow down this range a little bit based on the subspecies I am most interested in...

It looks like (and this might be completely wrong!) that larger species of tortoises tend to live longer than the smaller ones. I have been looking most into a teeny little Testudo hermanni hermanni from Sicily, mostly the Mt. Etna ones, who range from about 4-6 inches it seems. Does anyone know how long these guys live, even roughly? I would guess on the shorter side (comparatively!), but I want to hear from anyone with experience!

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

In my opinion, with good and proper care, your new tortoise should be with you for over 50 years. No one can tell you for sure because it all depends upon how well you take care of the animal.