Small piece of plastron

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
After I soaked Dex in her pool, I flipped her over to clean the bottom of her shell with a rag. As I was cleaning in a circular motion, a piece flicked off. I wasn't pressing hard so it didn't take much. I was standing on grass so I didn't see the piece to confirm what it was. It was a dark chunk so it could have been mud or poop lodged in there, or even the piece that was healing. It looks somewhat deep for me to not have post something o here. What would you guys recommend for treatment? Keeping it clean daily? Putting her somewhere away from dirt to keep from infection? I could follow the shell rot treatment if that's what it looks like. Here's the best pictures I could get.

Attachments

• 1413830018250.jpg
    1413830018250.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1413830031920.jpg
    1413830031920.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That actually looks like a canine tooth - see the other tiny indentation just south of the larger one in the first picture? Flush it out with peroxide to clean out any debris, dry it then put a little dab of neosporin on it. It's really not substantial and would be akin to a skinned knee. Just regular first aid will do...but it would be a good idea to try to figure out what tried to take a bite out of your tortoise.

Last edited:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I agree, it does look like a tooth puncture. Cats come in the backyard, but otherwise maybe a possum or skunk, but those are not likely because she's too big for the mouth to fit. Theres an occasional raccoon. That's all that comes around in my area. Also, my dog stays at my grandmas (where the tortoise are) when I leave home, but he doesn't come in contact with them.

She's locked up at night. I've never seen blood either. I will do the peroxide and triple antibiotic neosporen. Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Raccoons can damage a tortoise, can literally chew off a limb or head....so be careful in offering a secure night spot for the tort to rest in safely....

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Raccoons can damage a tortoise, can literally chew off a limb or head....so be careful in offering a secure night spot for the tort to rest in safely....
I guess I should know that it could happen with a raccoon as well, considering one took the heads off of 5 of my girlfriend's chickens. It could have happened before I closed up her burrow.