Slowly building my indoor tortoise table.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Got my stuff together for building my tortoise table thanks to a sizable donation from the US Government and tax returns. Due to the VERY small size of my house (built in 1930's), the 4x8 size isn't available unless I want to be sleeping on the table as well. It's a 2'x6' (1' deep with climb-proof lip) and will have storage underneath (selling point to building it to win over my wife). Might add a 2nd level in the future to add walking real estate.

Below is just the beginning framing. We've added a lot more reinforcements for the weight of substrate and to reduce the chance of warp over the anticipated years of use. Tonight we add the side walls and the extra-durable pond tarp as a liner/ weight distribution.
It'll be a good fall/winter home when my Russian won't have access to the backyard pen.
IMG_1914.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Got my stuff together for building my tortoise table thanks to a sizable donation from the US Government and tax returns. Due to the VERY small size of my house (built in 1930's), the 4x8 size isn't available unless I want to be sleeping on the table as well. It's a 2'x6' (1' deep with climb-proof lip) and will have storage underneath (selling point to building it to win over my wife). Might add a 2nd level in the future to add walking real estate.

Below is just the beginning framing. We've added a lot more reinforcements for the weight of substrate and to reduce the chance of warp over the anticipated years of use. Tonight we add the side walls and the extra-durable pond tarp as a liner/ weight distribution.
It'll be a good fall/winter home when my Russian won't have access to the backyard pen.
View attachment 292498

Have fun.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Have fun.
It's been.... interesting. My wife and I have zero carpentry skills, and the fine folks at the orange-vest builders club have been completely unhelpful. So we've been making the most kick-butt 1/3 arsed tortoise table ever! We found out our black Friday special drill/screwdriver does not hold a charge more than 5 minutes. Also learned that building things brings out the sailor in my wife. LOL

Oh well... My parents would say this builds character.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
I haven't used the orange brand B&D since I was a teenager and it still plugged in! It has taken me a while but i have a cache of Ryobi Tools since IMHO they have the best battery back for the size/weight. A Cheaper corded drill will always be so much better than dollar equivalant battery drill. BTW you character points are rolling like the US debt calculator though?

L

LasTortugasNinja

Happy with his new home! Already throwing weed salad everywhere!

Attachments

• 24D10E25-D8F4-4A5D-8A5E-415589C4901D.png
    24D10E25-D8F4-4A5D-8A5E-415589C4901D.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
L

LasTortugasNinja

What medium are you using?
Most of the depth is a mix of sphagnum moss mulch, fir chips, topsoil, a little sand, and the top layer is coco coir, coz he loves to drag all his food off the plate to eat.