Slime and Squeaky tortoise

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
oh I have that one! Should I put it under my lamp, or in my cage? Here is a picture of the cage

Don’t put it under the lamp.
Put it to one side so you can tell what temp the cage is.
You don’t want the lamp to be over it or it will read a HOT temperature.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

That’s not really good for your tortoise.
Do you or can you make a box made out of wood?
Put the thermometer IN the cage.
Try to get four pieces of wood and form a box shape. Get a bigger piece for the bottom. Then add your bark. Heat lamp hangs over head (but not to close to his back! You don’t want to burn him!)
Wrap the chord of the lamp around a stick or broom handle so it can’t fall in his cage too! ?

scrib._.blz

Qatar
Try to get four pieces of wood and form a box shape. Get a bigger piece for the bottom. Then add your bark. Heat lamp hangs over head (but not to close to his back! You don’t want to burn him!)
Wrap the chord of the lamp around a stick or broom handle so it can’t fall in his cage too! ?
I'll see if I can find some pieces of wood to build his cage.

scrib._.blz

Qatar
I have done a tiny bit of research and it says that soil is a fine substrate for tortoises if it doesnt have chemicals. Can I use that?

scrib._.blz

Qatar
I don't think I can get wood. Is that cage fine for him?

scrib._.blz

Qatar
I have done a few things. I am keeping sherdil outside for most of the day. We watch him while he is outside. We have this little square of soil with some plants he can eat. At night time we are going to let him sleep inside. I am still going to make a proper enclosure for him. But is soil a good substrate? I want to know because I am going to ask my parents to go buy some of those things. Thanks! :)

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
I have done a few things. I am keeping sherdil outside for most of the day. We watch him while he is outside. We have this little square of soil with some plants he can eat. At night time we are going to let him sleep inside. I am still going to make a proper enclosure for him. But is soil a good substrate? I want to know because I am going to ask my parents to go buy some of those things. Thanks! :)

Soil can be ok IF you know that it hasnt neen treated with any chemicals or additives (like fertilizer) because those can be harmful to your tort. It would still be better if you are able to find one of the substrates suggested in the care sheet. Do you know if there was anything pur on the plants to keep the bugs away?

scrib._.blz

Qatar
Soil can be ok IF you know that it hasnt neen treated with any chemicals or additives (like fertilizer) because those can be harmful to your tort. It would still be better if you are able to find one of the substrates suggested in the care sheet. Do you know if there was anything pur on the plants to keep the bugs away?
I can't be sure but I'll ask my parents!

harrythetortoise

Virginia
My mom told me that she didn't ever put anything like something to keep away the bugs. But she did put some fertilizer last year. Is that fine?
No, that soil should not be used as substrate. Also soil itself has impaction risk.
Did you look up "Zoomed reptibark"?

harrythetortoise

Virginia

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA