Slime and Squeaky tortoise

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
here is one more question: Is organic soil a good bedding for him? I wanted to see if I can maybe make a better "cage" for him. For now, he likes staying outside his cage and I let him. He sleeps out there too.
Where is he sleeping outside his cage?
You should get coco coir, orchard bark, a local petstore carries tortoise friendly substrate. You can check out what they have in the isle the substrate will be in a bag.

your tortoise needs a uvb bulb as well as the heating bulb you got him. A local pet store(for right now can carry a uvb bulb) please get the substrate and additional lighting for him. Also get a water dish for him and make sure you are putting lettuce, a good variety of greens for your tort.Get a spray bottle to sprits his lettuce for extra hydration. If you do not see your tortoise drink water please give the tortoise soaks every single day for at least 15-20 mins. (Watching him of course)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You should get coco coir, orchard bark, a local petstore carries tortoise friendly substrate. You can check out what they have in the isle the substrate will be in a bag.

your tortoise needs a uvb bulb as well as the heating bulb you got him. A local pet store(for right now can carry a uvb bulb) please get the substrate and additional lighting for him. Also get a water dish for him and make sure you are putting lettuce, a good variety of greens for your tort.Get a spray bottle to sprits his lettuce for extra hydration. If you do not see your tortoise drink water please give the tortoise soaks every single day for at least 15-20 mins. (Watching him of course)
I realize that you don't have to read the previous comments and that you don't. I see that a lot, and you certainly don't have to do as asked by me. But it's kind of important for you to know what you are commenting on. You generally just comment and it's obvious that you don't read previous comments. You don't have to I know. But come on, is it that hard?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I realize that you don't have to read the previous comments and that you don't. I see that a lot, and you certainly don't have to do as asked by me. But it's kind of important for you to know what you are commenting on. You generally just comment and it's obvious that you don't read previous comments. You don't have to I know. But come on, is it that hard?
I'm at work and I quickly browse through comments and help out to what I can, I don't have the time to read every single persons comments that are general feedback towards what is proper care, because I GET IT obviously, so no need to read.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
I'm at work and I quickly browse through comments and help out to what I can, I don't have the time to read every single persons comments that are general feedback towards what is proper care, because I GET IT obviously, so no need to read.

In this case it would've been prudent to be a bit more thorough as the OP is 11, almost 12, so until the parents get involved there isn't much to be done. We've provided the care sheets which are going to be shown the parents so they can then make the decision to either get this lil tort the correct housing or find it a home elsewhere. Personally I hope they get the lil guy what he needs so he can make a full recovery.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Then it just maybe it might be a good idea when you are at work you actually do the work you are getting paid for and don't comment on stuff when you don't have all the information and leave it to others who can read the whole thread. Don't you think that would be better than the halfassed advice you have been handing out? Did you read where Tom tore your recent advice to freakin shreds? Hmm? No? oh, well maybe you should.
Better no advice, than wrong advice.
You just made comments to a kid from a foreign country after he said he was getting confused, told too many contradictory things. So this is what I posted...

We ALL know what the future hold for this little tortoise. But maybe with kindness dripping all over we can save this little tortoise. So I will back out and others should too and you handle this so the kid doesn't feel like a whole buncha people are attacking, and give consistent advice...You're on Super man...hit it!!!

Now I know you don't have to do anything I ask. But this just might hurt someone and get a dead tortoise, because you not only gave crappy advice, but you just added more stress. Think about what you are doing before you type. That's all I'm asking

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You DON'T get it!!! Don't you know you don't? If you actually, got it, do you think I would be saying all this? General information in this case 'could' be fatal for this animal. And even your general information is wrong. Ok, I'm gone before I say something not nice

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You DON'T get it!!! Don't you know you don't? If you actually, got it, do you think I would be saying all this? General information in this case 'could' be fatal for this animal. And even your general information is wrong. Ok, I'm gone before I say something not nice
You take this website way too seriously. We’re all on here to give our own feedback. You can agree or disagree every post on here is controversial. I enjoy browsing on here and I can do what I want at work... I have my own office. I feel like I’m in highschool with this post! Very awkward.. to say the least. But I’ll leave it at that. Carry on now with the forum.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Then it just maybe it might be a good idea when you are at work you actually do the work you are getting paid for and don't comment on stuff when you don't have all the information and leave it to others who can read the whole thread. Don't you think that would be better than the halfassed advice you have been handing out? Did you read where Tom tore your recent advice to freakin shreds? Hmm? No? oh, well maybe you should.
You just made comments to a kid from a foreign country after he said he was getting confused, told too many contradictory things. So this is what I posted...

We ALL know what the future hold for this little tortoise. But maybe with kindness dripping all over we can save this little tortoise. So I will back out and others should too and you handle this so the kid doesn't feel like a whole buncha people are attacking, and give consistent advice...You're on Super man...hit it!!!

Now I know you don't have to do anything I ask. But this just might hurt someone and get a dead tortoise, because you not only gave crappy advice, but you just added more stress. Think about what you are doing before you type. That's all I'm asking
0__o do you need a chill pill?

TaylorTortoise

Abington

O___o does it look like I care who or what tom says about my feedback? Like I said.... disagreement is going to happen, nobody agrees with everybody. But hey.. thanks for your feedback!

scrib._.blz

Qatar

My Parents read half way through the care sheet. They couldn't finish it because they had work to do. But my mom told me that he needs a much bigger cage. So we got him a big one, and cleaned it up. It is about 30 inches. And that we have to take him walks outside in the sun with some shade. I also read the care sheet. I am going to ask my parents if they could buy one of the substrates they listed over there. I take him daily soaks for around 20 minutes. And, I dont know why, he only eats lettuce but not any other green besides a tiny bit of cucumber (is this common?). Just for yesterday, I didn't have the substrate (i still don't have it I am going to get it today), so I put him in the tub with some lettuce and some of the paper. And he slept there. But today (Hopefully) I am going to try to get a substrate. I don't really have a heat bulb, so i'll also get one. Also please tell me which one is the best substrate for him?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
My Parents read half way through the care sheet. They couldn't finish it because they had work to do. But my mom told me that he needs a much bigger cage. So we got him a big one, and cleaned it up. It is about 30 inches. And that we have to take him walks outside in the sun with some shade. I also read the care sheet. I am going to ask my parents if they could buy one of the substrates they listed over there. I take him daily soaks for around 20 minutes. And, I dont know why, he only eats lettuce but not any other green besides a tiny bit of cucumber (is this common?). Just for yesterday, I didn't have the substrate (i still don't have it I am going to get it today), so I put him in the tub with some lettuce and some of the paper. And he slept there. But today (Hopefully) I am going to try to get a substrate. I don't really have a heat bulb, so i'll also get one. Also please tell me which one is the best substrate for him?
Great to hear! I really hope all these changes will help your baby recover!
For the substrate I recommend fine grade orchid bark mixed with coco coir. This will retain humidity very well. I use just coco coir and pack it down so it’s not loose, you can try that too.
As for him only eating lettuce - keep introducing new foods and eventually he will start eating a more variety. Right now he’s just used to eating lettuce.
Looking forward to seeing the new setup soon!??

scrib._.blz

Qatar
For the substrate I recommend fine grade orchid bark mixed with coco coir. This will retain humidity very well. I use just coco coir and pack it down so it’s not loose, you can try that too.
As for him only eating lettuce - keep introducing new foods and eventually he will start eating a more variety. Right now he’s just used to eating lettuce.
Thank you! I'll see if I can find coco coir if I can't maybe I ll try orchid bark

scrib._.blz

Qatar
I searched all over online, but I couldn't find orchid bark or coco coir. All I could find was coco substrate. Is that fine or should I look for something else

scrib._.blz

Qatar

I cannot find orchid bark or coco coir. All I can find online is coco substrate. Should I go to a local pet store and check if they have tortoise friendly substrates?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I searched all over online, but I couldn't find orchid bark or coco coir. All I could find was coco substrate. Is that fine or should I look for something else
What is the coco substrate? Do you have a picture you can post?