Slightly puffy eyes and what seems to be loss of appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Hi everyone,

I have an an ivory sulcata named Pluto (hatchling) who hasn't seemed to be eating in the past couple of days. We got him on Thursday and he ate on the first day, but I haven't seen him eat since. We're feeding him, along with our other hatchling sulcatas, mazuri and mixed greens daily along with a calcium and vitamin supplement.

The temperatures in the enclosure are normal for them. I researched by reading the other threads and Tom's care sheet, and I'm following all of the correct steps to take regarding food, lighting, and hide boxes. I have him soaking now in some water and squash baby food to see if it stirs up his appetite.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make him eat and also to help with his slightly puffy eyes?

Thanks!

Monica

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
FourTortoise said:
Hi everyone,

I have an an ivory sulcata named Pluto (hatchling) who hasn't seemed to be eating in the past couple of days. We got him on Thursday and he ate on the first day, but I haven't seen him eat since. We're feeding him, along with our other hatchling sulcatas, mazuri and mixed greens daily along with a calcium and vitamin supplement.

The temperatures in the enclosure are normal for them. I researched by reading the other threads and Tom's care sheet, and I'm following all of the correct steps to take regarding food, lighting, and hide boxes. I have him soaking now in some water and squash baby food to see if it stirs up his appetite.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make him eat and also to help with his slightly puffy eyes?

Thanks!

Monica

Terramycin ophthalmic ointment should help with the puffy eyes. you can pick it up at most feed supply stores (tractor supply, blue seal, etc.) or online. You'll want to use it 2-3 times per day for at least 4-5 days. I dampen a q-tip, put some ointment on and then apply it to their eyes. Dampening the q-tip seems to disturb their already irritated eye less as it doesn't wick the moisture away.

I hope you can get the hatchling eating again soon! Most torts seem coo-coo for cocoa puffs over pumpkin/butternut squash, try grating a little up and offering it to your little one?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...also I would ask what is your humidity in this little ones enclosure?...sometimes the puffy eyes can be a sign of needing a bit more hydration....if you have a baby and are using the MVB then I would do daily soaks once or even twice a day for a while until your little one gets a spring back in their step :D IMHO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Puffy eyes can be caused by a couple of things...substrate too dry and dusty, not eating, so lack of vitamin A and those darned coiled bulbs.

A few days soaking in the Gerber baby food water should help the eyes...either that or liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water.

FourTortoise

5 Year Member
Miami, FL
Redstrike said:
FourTortoise said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Monica

Terramycin ophthalmic ointment should help with the puffy eyes. you can pick it up at most feed supply stores (tractor supply, blue seal, etc.) or online. You'll want to use it 2-3 times per day for at least 4-5 days. I dampen a q-tip, put some ointment on and then apply it to their eyes. Dampening the q-tip seems to disturb their already irritated eye less as it doesn't wick the moisture away.

I hope you can get the hatchling eating again soon! Most torts seem coo-coo for cocoa puffs over pumpkin/butternut squash, try grating a little up and offering it to your little one?

Thank you Chris! I have a feed supply store near by. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they have it since they're closed on Sundays. I saw him eating this afternoon so that's a good sign.

ascott said:
Hi...also I would ask what is your humidity in this little ones enclosure?...sometimes the puffy eyes can be a sign of needing a bit more hydration....if you have a baby and are using the MVB then I would do daily soaks once or even twice a day for a while until your little one gets a spring back in their step :D IMHO

I have the humidity in their hide boxes at around 92-95% and around 60% throughout the rest of the enclosure. I soak them 2 times a day for about 10-20 minutes and I also spritz them throughout the day. I'm not using the MVB, but I was looking into getting one. Are those better than regular UVA/UVB lights?

emysemys said:
Puffy eyes can be caused by a couple of things...substrate too dry and dusty, not eating, so lack of vitamin A and those darned coiled bulbs.

A few days soaking in the Gerber baby food water should help the eyes...either that or liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water.

I try to keep the substrate moist by spraying it with a spray bottle throughout the day. I'll keep up the soaks with the carrots twice a day and also get some liquid bird vitamins. Which one would you recommend?

Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.