Sleeping way too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

akp022

5 Year Member
Aggie has been sleeping for an average of 18-20 hours a day...his temps are fine and humidity is okay (@ about 45-50% which is a bit high for a Greek)...he is very active during the hours he is awake and he's eating well, aside from the sleep the only thing that concerns me is the amount of liquid he expels while eating...any thoughts about what might be wrong?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is he? Babies do sleep alot. Get up eat a little, bask a little and then sleep and maybe get up again to eat. Also, what do you mean the liquid he expels while eating? He is peeing while he eats or is he drooling?

akp022

5 Year Member
wellington said:
How old is he? Babies do sleep alot. Get up eat a little, bask a little and then sleep and maybe get up again to eat. Also, what do you mean the liquid he expels while eating? He is peeing while he eats or is he drooling?

I bought him from some guy who could only tell me that he bought him from the pet store 6 months ago, so being from the pet store and that he is the full size Greeks are supposed to get to and you can tell he is definitely a boy, I'd say he's not a baby but that's as much as I can tell. He wakes up around 12 and just sleeps under his heat lamp until I get home at 3 when I can turn on his UVB lamp but then he will go back into his hide at around 8 to sleep (sometimes earlier) until 12 the next day. I think the biggest thing I'm worried about is if he is getting enough UVB light, so I'm considering a timer so he can get a few more hours of it until I can get home and turn it on.

He is peeing alot of liquid almost everytime he eats, it's mostly clear but there is some white mixed in (I know that white is normal I just have never seen this amount of clear pee for him until the last few weeks) I am afraid to give him soaks because I don't know if he is too hydrated or what this means.

akp022

5 Year Member
Well today I fed him at 3:30 then I had to leave for work again (until 6); when I came home he had already gone back to where he sleeps but some of his stuff in his home was moved all around like he was freaking out and wanted out but then just gave up and went to sleep maybe. I got him out so he would bask a little bit, he stayed out until around 8 then went back to sleep again. I'm not sure if it's his home but its still not warm enough to put him outside and I'm not sure when it is appropriate to start worrying about his behavior (I'm a worrier but I also do not want to pay a large vet bill if I'm jumping to conclusions). I am also not sure if he really is much older than I originally thought and maybe he's becoming less active in his old age? I can't think of anything else it might be because it's getting warmer so he shouldn't be slowing down and he doesn't show any other signs of being sick...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
It is unlikely he is over hydrated....and peeing while eating is absolutely normal....

If he is still young/small then hiding most of the day is also absolutely normal...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.