Sleeping under Basking Lamp

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I just had a quick question regarding my little guy and his preferred area.

Ever since I’ve gotten him, he has his favourite little corner, there’s a plant there that he LOVES to burrow under to nap throughout the day and sleep through the night - I’m assuming it’s because it’s humid and also warmer for him.

His enclosure is always kept humid to promote smooth shell growth, but obviously, with being directly under the lamp a lot of the time im worried it could potentially be drying out his shell and/or damaging it? The light is held high enough, and the sleeping area isn’t DIRECTLY under the lamp however it is relatively close.

Any ideas on how to promote sleeping in other areas? I’ve tried numerous hides - should I consider heightening the lamp? Moving it? Or am I being a paranoid tort owner ?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I do this when one of my young tortoise's decides to spend the night under a CHE instead of in it's hide.Picture 003.jpg I wet some cloth and cover the tortoise with it after I'm sure he is settled in for the night. In a closed chamber the cloth is still wet the next morning. I started doing this with a different tortoise last year and he is doing fine and stayed smooth. Before doing this I would put him in his hide for the night. This way he can sleep where he chooses.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I just had a quick question regarding my little guy and his preferred area.

Ever since I’ve gotten him, he has his favourite little corner, there’s a plant there that he LOVES to burrow under to nap throughout the day and sleep through the night - I’m assuming it’s because it’s humid and also warmer for him.

His enclosure is always kept humid to promote smooth shell growth, but obviously, with being directly under the lamp a lot of the time im worried it could potentially be drying out his shell and/or damaging it? The light is held high enough, and the sleeping area isn’t DIRECTLY under the lamp however it is relatively close.

Any ideas on how to promote sleeping in other areas? I’ve tried numerous hides - should I consider heightening the lamp? Moving it? Or am I being a paranoid tort owner ?
Even my tortoise sleeps under his lamp. I think it's the fact that it is the warmth, there.