Sleeping tortoise in water bowl

Fish Breath

Location (City and/or State)
NY
I need help getting my RT out of his water bowl. This is more serious than you would think, RTs hate water yet he won’t get out of this one and I’m worried about infections from him staying there for a weeks straight.image.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
He needs water 24 x7 suggest you clean the bowl and put in fresh water and fresh food and see what happens. Also soak it for 20 mins in shallow water to hydrate on a regular daily basis. Layout of its home is also important hot side cold side and hiding sleeping places.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Try to upload a pix of the entire enclosure. I’m wondering if your tort is laying in the water ‘cause the temperatures arent correct? Is it way too hot/bright in the enclosure & this is way to thermoregulate?

How large is the enclosure?
What kind of lighting & heating?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I need help getting my RT out of his water bowl. This is more serious than you would think, RTs hate water yet he won’t get out of this one and I’m worried about infections from him staying there for a weeks straight.

It's completely normal. Tortoises only hate water when they're forced upon it. Tortoises have no problems soaking themselves.

The tortoise knows how to regulate their core temperature. If it's too cold or too hot they will instinctively move elsewhere to get what they need provided that the enclosure has the necessary temperature zones for them to utilize.

I have tortoises that purposely go poo in their large and spacious water dishes immediately after eating, staring at me as if it's payback for some sort of thing I did to them. Just be sure to replace the water regularly as @Sarah2020 suggested and everything should be fine.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I agree with soaking and cleaning the water. I know this sounds crazy but my RT loves to swim. We would take him to the beach and let him walk around ( never having impaction and no one was around) and he would climb right into the lagoon and swim around, even though I bathe him all the time. He loves to float and kick his little arms forward. I’m always right there with him making sure he’s fine. Ofc I rinse him off extremely well after to make sure no salt water or anything is on him. Just wanted to let u know that RT loving water isn’t unheard of :)