Sleeping patterns

Skelly

Location (City and/or State)
Kildare, Ireland
Little foot is normally asleep before his lights go off but tonight he decided to come out for a wander 5 minutes before his lights went off, when they went off he was still out and awake so I put his lights back on and then he went over to his heat spot sat for 5 minutes then went to bed so I turned them off then, was that the right thing to do? Should I have just left them off? Any help is appreciated :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would have left them off. But I don't know the photoperiod you have your lights set to. I believe a consistent photoperiod is very important to tortoises. They are very much creatures of habit and routine. A change is stressful. For one night and a few minutes as you did is harmless, but I like to keep the consistency whenever I can.

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
You need to tell us what is the schedule that you have your tortoise is in.
12-14 hours of "day cycle" should be fine.
His lights go on at 9a.m and go off at 9p.m they have been that way since I got him which is nearly 4 weeks now and he does be out and about by 10:00 every morning and is normally always in his hut asleep before his lights go off this is the first time this happened