Sleeping all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
he hasn't ate today but im soaking him in warm water right now. Do you think if i put mazuri in there hell wake up to eat it? oh and i pick him up and move him hell wake up for about 30 seconds and knock right back out.

i put the uvb tube up and put him back in his enclosure and he went strait to sleep. When he opens his eyes they're squinted and well i think hes blind. I move my hand fast towards him like smacking a fly (i never hit him) to see if he flinches and he just stays still and then i put fresh romaine in front of him and he just went to bed. Before he was rush the lettuce and duck in when i swatted my hand,

M

Maggie Cummings

I think you need to take him to the Vet, but your temps on the cool side should be about 70 degrees. He does need a small gradient. Under his basking light should be 100 to 105. You need to establish a routine. Do the same thing the same way everyday. I wake all my guys up and feed right away, then I soak whoever is gonna get soaked then I put them in their exercise area so they can get some exercise and get out of their tank.
I would take what he is used to eating and soak some Mazuri and mix it with the lettuce lightly. Less lettuce and More Mazuri. Changing him over to a good diet will take a few weeks, not just a couple off feedings.
I think part of your problem is the light bulb. Can you post a picture of it for us?
Also cut some grass and dandelion leaves for him and see how he likes them. Can you find out from his breeder what he's been eating?

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
maggie3fan said:
I think you need to take him to the Vet, but your temps on the cool side should be about 70 degrees. He does need a small gradient. Under his basking light should be 100 to 105. You need to establish a routine. Do the same thing the same way everyday. I wake all my guys up and feed right away, then I soak whoever is gonna get soaked then I put them in their exercise area so they can get some exercise and get out of their tank.
I would take what he is used to eating and soak some Mazuri and mix it with the lettuce lightly. Less lettuce and More Mazuri. Changing him over to a good diet will take a few weeks, not just a couple off feedings.
I think part of your problem is the light bulb. Can you post a picture of it for us?
Also cut some grass and dandelion leaves for him and see how he likes them. Can you find out from his breeder what he's been eating?

oh i got him about 4-5 months ago i think, but the guy said he was eating romaine lettuce and ill get picks up as soon as i can. I also have his lights on a timer

M

Maggie Cummings

tor-tise said:
maggie3fan said:

I am concerned about his eyes, and the bulb you are using. Is it a coil type? You can take the romain and chop it up small and add one or two pieces of softened Mazuri, and stick with it. Personally I rarely feed Mazuri. But with that said, when I have a tort that has runny poops from too much green stuff, I feed them Mazuri and that fixes their gut up good. I think it was Laura who said he can only eat what *YOU* are offering. So stick to your guns and get into the tuff love group. Making sure he's warm...find some raddiccho, it's a rare tort who can refuse the red stuff.

oh i got him about 4-5 months ago i think, but the guy said he was eating romaine lettuce and ill get picks up as soon as i can. I also have his lights on a timer

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
The tube type UVB bulbs are the ones known to cause blindness.

You need to use something like a zoo med power sun.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Biff Malibu said:
The tube type UVB bulbs are the ones known to cause blindness.

You need to use something like a zoo med power sun.

the long tube ones? the one you guys just said to put on him?

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Read this article, this issue is with compact fluroescent's. I don't know what you're using specifically, but "Mercury Vapor" style bulbs are the way to go:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-35247.html

8187B3Zl54L._SL1500_.jpg

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Biff Malibu said:
Read this article, this issue is with compact fluroescent's. I don't know what you're using specifically, but "Mercury Vapor" style bulbs are the way to go:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-35247.html

8187B3Zl54L._SL1500_.jpg

so if i get that i should take the other heat lamp off him right now and the uvb and only use that one and the ceramic for night?

i originally had this one on him

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...lbs/-/zoo-med-compact-fluorescent-50-uv-bulb/

But you guys said that causes blindness so now i have this one on him along with a 75 watt heat bulb

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/d3rela18fall.html

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
What are you using right now exactly? Can you put up a link for it?

You should use a PowerSun for 12 Hours (Day), and a CHE for the other 12 Hours (Night). Most people put the UVB and CHE on a auto-timer. You can also use a thermostat to control when the CHE turns on and off (so that it doesn't get too hot or too cold).

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Biff Malibu said:
What are you using right now exactly? Can you put up a link for it?

You should use a PowerSun for 12 Hours (Day), and a CHE for the other 12 Hours (Night). Most people put the UVB and CHE on a auto-timer. You can also use a thermostat to control when the CHE turns on and off (so that it doesn't get too hot or too cold).

the links are in the bottom of my last post

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I don't know about using that type of bulb for a sulcata.

I have two issues with it, one is that its still "fluroescent" and it doesn't say the wattage.

I live in LA too, the 100w powersun is the way to go for right now. I'd also get a 100 or 150 watt CHE and put it on a thermostat.

After that, I'd say to take him out for some natural sun out in your yard or park or something. I'd also say to try Mazuri - My tort will turn down his other food and eat just that, so they seem to really like it.

Make sure the diet is varied (see diet info in my signature) give it some calcium about 2x a week.

Do you have a temp probe to monitor temps? http://www.cecompass.com/temperatur...tore=default&gclid=CP2-otKBm7QCFeGDQgodIn8AvQ

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I have a little temp gun.

I have good news and Bad news.

Good news is i got him to eat lettuce right now!!! hes munching on it like crazy

bad news is hes blind. I pretended to hit him and he didnt go back in his shell then i kept rubbing lettuce on his mouth and he took a few bites but the one is is house was all soggy and wilted so i got some fresh romaine moved the old one and he followed the old one. He smelled the air and followed it then i put the fresh one right in front of his face and he kept biting at the air cause he couldnt see it. But then he found it and is eating right now. Im getting his mazuri tomorrow. But i have a few questions. Can a tortoise live a good life being blind? And is there a chance hell ever regain his sight? thanks for the help everyone and im getting the powersun uv this weekend

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Tough Question. Something you'll have to think about for a while.

I think that if I was a tortoise I wouldn't have much issue with it. I don't think your tort is going to lay up at night bumming on it. Reptiles are much more resilient and FAR less introspective than humans. Compared to some of the rescue torts I've seen, I'd actually say: Blind tort with a good owner, has a 1000x better quality of life than a seeing tort with a bad owner. A pet's "good life" is mostly created from the care you give to it.

Regaining sight? Yes its possible - but it depends on the exact nature of its condition, which is next to impossible to diagnose. Meaning some conditions are temporary, while others are permanent.

Good he's eating again, I'll bet he likes the Mazuri. It helps to soak it in water for a couple minutes to soften up the pellets.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Biff Malibu said:
Tough Question. Something you'll have to think about for a while.

I think that if I was a tortoise I wouldn't have much issue with it. I don't think your tort is going to lay up at night bumming on it. Reptiles are much more resilient and FAR less introspective than humans. Compared to some of the rescue torts I've seen, I'd actually say: Blind tort with a good owner, has a 1000x better quality of life than a seeing tort with a bad owner. A pet's "good life" is mostly created from the care you give to it.

Regaining sight? Yes its possible - but it depends on the exact nature of its condition, which is next to impossible to diagnose. Meaning some conditions are temporary, while others are permanent.

Good he's eating again, I'll bet he likes the Mazuri. It helps to soak it in water for a couple minutes to soften up the pellets.

well i hope i can be a good owner thanks everyone for all the help and info!!! Ill still be reading on there care and do the best to take care of this guy. He stopped eating about 10 min ago and found his way to his humid hide

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Though id give you guys an update,

So far he barely walks around i haven't seen him really eat at all hes just been sleeping all day i haven't seen is right eye open AT all he refuses and ignores the mazuri i think he ate it one time my parents just got me some more romaine. I really have no experience with theses guys hes my first tortoise, I want tortoises in the future but i want to learn the proper care first but i don't think this guy will recover or do better in my care so if there's any one in the Los Angeles are that want to take him in just give me a call or text me 323-767-3840 my name is Joseph and i don't respond to missed calls.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Has this poor little guy ever been to the vet? The problems may not be as bad as you think. From reading all of this I think the tort is dehydrated too. Do you have water available in the enclosure has it been pooping? I would give it some greens (escarole, endive, radicchio, kale, etc...) soaked in water and lead the poor thing to a water bowl along with twice daily soaks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Joseph:

I'm sorry, but somehow I missed this thread when you first posted it. I'm almost 100% sure that the baby's problem is the coiled bulb:

i have one uvb light on him and its a 5.0 uvb if im correct its not a tube one. And it doesn't look like a normal house bulb either.

Those compact fluorescent bulbs cause something similar to snow blindness when used over baby tortoises. If a tortoise can't see, it won't eat. All you have to do to fix this baby is continue the daily warm water soaks and get rid of that bulb immediately.

tor-tise

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
UPDATE:

Hey everyone thanks for all the replies and texts but i contacted maggie on here and i herd she was great at reviving torts and asked her for help/advice. so i decided to keep him hes NOT BLIND he is now able to see but not really eating I'm giving him baby food soaks and offering him romaine lettuce, kale, and mazuri but he refuses it all. I still have to buy him his eye ointment, i got a ceramic night heat emitter and well i hope he gets better. Any advice on getting him to eat it appreciated. i just typed this same paragraph from my add i had up.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
NICE!!!

There is no real answer on what will get him to eat, only food suggestions, and keep him nice and warm. Warm water soaks seem to get my tort in the mood to eat. You'll have to try some different things and he'll eventually come around. Like the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water..."

Status
Not open for further replies.