Skinks

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Hello there, I have put appt of thought into buying my first lizard. It is either between a fire skinks or a blue-tailed skink. I have read a few different things about them, either they do good in groups or they don't, out they get lonely. I'm 100% confused. Different websites say different things. Anybody hear have any thoughts on the topic? I would love to hear.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't get lonely. They are not pack animals. In some situations they can tolerate each other and live together, but there is no guarantee of this. Some of them get along and some don't. My preference would be for the CB fire skinks. They are more outgoing in my experience.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Thank you Tom! I read so many different things about housing them that I had to just come ask. I will start out with one fire skink and then see how it acts and see where it goes. Thanks again. If I have anymore questions I'll send you message.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We have those shiny black, Blue tailed skinks here wild.
They do seem to live a solitary life.
They are lightning quick and stay hidden all day.
Also, because I've caught a few, I thought I should mention that their bite is exceptionally strong for having such a small mouth. I say it's about 10x stronger than a common Anole.
So, it'll hide, be anti social and bite you.
Those are acceptable parameters for some of us. But not everyone.
If you meant Blue Tongued skink, I have no experience with those.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I didn't even know there were blue tailed skinks. I know the blue tongued skink only for having once held one for a minute in Sydney.
Our Jamaica Giant Green Anole has a pretty impressive bite too! It's amazing how hard small lizards can bite - and not let go.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I didn't even know there were blue tailed skinks. I know the blue tongued skink only for having once held one for a minute in Sydney.
Our Jamaica Giant Green Anole has a pretty impressive bite too! It's amazing how hard small lizards can bite - and not let go.
Is that the lime green one with the yellow stripe on the cheeks?.
They DO also bite hard.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ours is lime green but does not have that yellow stripe, just a bright orange/yellow dewlap. Have to post a pic in another thread soon.