Skin tag/bump on tortoise's neck?

JMM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I would definitely have this examined by an exotics vet with expertise in reptiles (and ideally torts). It's a good idea to find someone and have them on hand BEFORE you really need one. I am not sure where you are in AZ, but Midwestern U vet school has good folks. It would be a good idea to have this examined and if removed, I'd ask that it be examined microscopically as well. This is a very delicate area of the body (i.e. major vessels and other structures are present) and you have no idea where it really connects to, so I would advise against trying to remove this yourself.

tinothetort

AZ
I would definitely have this examined by an exotics vet with expertise in reptiles (and ideally torts). It's a good idea to find someone and have them on hand BEFORE you really need one. I am not sure where you are in AZ, but Midwestern U vet school has good folks. It would be a good idea to have this examined and if removed, I'd ask that it be examined microscopically as well. This is a very delicate area of the body (i.e. major vessels and other structures are present) and you have no idea where it really connects to, so I would advise against trying to remove this yourself.
Thank you for the advice! I don't plan on removing it myself for that same reason, as I'm too worried it could hurt more than help in the long run if I tried to do that. I'm currently applying for summer jobs for exotic vet clinics near me, so hopefully I can find a veterinarian soon to ask about Tino!

tinothetort

AZ
Hello all! I honestly forgot about this thread because it was so long ago, but I thought I'd post an update! After months of training and having worked with general practice vets for years, I became a vet tech at an exotics clinic and got accepted into veterinary school! As far as Valentino... He (or she), is doing wonderfully! Tino's a year and three months old now, and has been given a clean bill of health by the doctors I work with! Turns out the bump really was just a skin tag, and all the doctor did was snip it off with a pair or sterilized scissors! No bleeding and Tino didn't even flinch! It was the first time she'd seen anything like it on a tortoise, as skin tags are pretty uncommon in reptiles! Just thought I would share! Enjoy a photo of Tino eating strawberries on Valentine's Day (he only gets treats like fruit every other month now :) ) Have a great day everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_212410887.jpg
    IMG_20220214_212410887.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello all! I honestly forgot about this thread because it was so long ago, but I thought I'd post an update! After months of training and having worked with general practice vets for years, I became a vet tech at an exotics clinic and got accepted into veterinary school! As far as Valentino... He (or she), is doing wonderfully! Tino's a year and three months old now, and has been given a clean bill of health by the doctors I work with! Turns out the bump really was just a skin tag, and all the doctor did was snip it off with a pair or sterilized scissors! No bleeding and Tino didn't even flinch! It was the first time she'd seen anything like it on a tortoise, as skin tags are pretty uncommon in reptiles! Just thought I would share! Enjoy a photo of Tino eating strawberries on Valentine's Day (he only gets treats like fruit every other month now :) ) Have a great day everyone!
I'm so happy for you and Tino. I'm sure we'll have a new reptile vet out there too and that's wonderful for us that love Tortoises ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I wouldn’t get overly worried about that skin tag but I definitely recommend getting it checked out by an exotics vet.
Wow. I know this is belated but so glad to find one of your posts and sorry tinothetort for interrupting your thread about Tino.? to just say hello.

Rynan

Southern California
I've heard people use thin dental floss or even hair to tie around the "stalk" and just let the skin tag dry and die off on it's own. Think that might be safer than removing it with any cutting tool,clippers, or scalpel