skin shedding

Steviemonty

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich uk
hi iam relatively new to tortoise ownership...about 3 weeks now, I have a very small Russian, who is healthy I believe, you know ..eats a lot, gains weight and seems very content, however..he seems to be having a lot of loose skin particulary on his neck. Now I do bathe him about every 2 days and mist his enclosure regular what is causing this and is it cause for concern, I am not quite sure how to keep the humidity levels at the right level and iam beginning to think I may have the wrong substrate in.....its one for the breed apparently, you know mixture of sand and soil, it came from a reputable source with advice. As I say iam still learning and any advice about my little Russian would be gratefully received...….his name is boris and is 3 months old...thank you

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s totally normally for them to shed skin in pieces at least once per year. It looks pretty gross around the neck; if you look closely you may see smaller scales lifting of the face or legs. Just let it alone.

Mine is shedding right now after a growth spurt and while it doesn’t bother me any more, that first sight of the neck always startles

Steviemonty

Norwich uk
It’s totally normally for them to shed skin in pieces at least once per year. It looks pretty gross around the neck; if you look closely you may see smaller scales lifting of the face or legs. Just let it alone.

Mine is shedding right now after a growth spurt and while it doesn’t bother me any more, that first sight of the neck always startles
thanks for your reply it is a bit startling when you first notice but at least I know now thanks again rosemary.