Size really DOES matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I always thought my Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, was pretty laid back. I got her in November and she lived in her 4 ft x 3 ft indoor enclosure (she was 4.5 inches long then). Basically she would eat, bask, eat, bask and sleep.

But now that she's outside in her Summer Villa, which is 8 x 12, she's a different woman!!! She is still laid back, but anytime we go out to her Villa, we have to hunt to find her! She still eats and basks plenty, but she is often cruising gracefully around her enclosure- she's already worn a path in the grass all around the inner perimeter. Sometimes she just likes to be out sitting in a clump of deep grass- not even in the sun- just chillin'.

My hubby, who was originally puzzled by my wish to get a tortoise, has been enjoying watching her too. He noted that as she cruises around, she keeps her chin raised up and he thinks she uses her chin like the bow of a ship parting the waves (in this case, waves of high grass!). I thought that was a very poetic image! :)

Having seen this difference in her, I will DEFINITELY build her a bigger indoor enclosure for next winter. I can't make an 8 x 12 indoor enclosure, but I will certainly make it as big as I can. Size REALLY does make a difference in the quality of life for them!!!!:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) Glad she is liking it!! I think there is nothing more enjoyable then just sitting back and watching them when they are in their outdoor enclosures being tortoises. I agree size is very important, but close to that is having an enclosure that is well planted. Makes it more stimulating to them and to us, I think.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That sounds like a nice day, sitting out and watching your tort be happy outside. Glad she is enjoying her new home.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Isn't it a great feeling to not just see them live but to see them THRIVE!!! Lol glad to her about her enjoying her palace

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Outdoors is where tortoises and reptiles do best, Toetoises in the wild have huge home ranges and they so explore a lot and seem to like doing soo

Status
Not open for further replies.