Size of Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
I live in a small house right now and my tortoise is in a 40 gal breeder.
She is about 5 inches and I am in a lease here for 8 months, just curious if anyone knows how much she may grow within this 8 months because i would like to start working on a tortoise table for after i move out. I would like to make sure she is comfortable for the 8 months until i can make the table.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I'm living in an apt and i got a plastic bin( as big as I could find) but am also working on. Tortoise table. I'm using a book case on it's back :)

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
demo183 said:
The kind of tortoise may help :p :D

oops i thought i did shes a red foot but not cherry head shes got the yellow legs

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Red-foots can tolerate crowding for a while, especially if they get a nice big outdoor pen part of the time.

A 40 gal breeder is 36"x18". Using the formula of 8 shell lengths by 4 lengths for a working size formula, you should be able to house a 4.5" tortoise in there comfortably. She MIGHT get to about 6" in eight months, and at that point really need some more space.

In my own mind, she would be OK for now, but not in the optimal situation.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Thanks for the advice im going to start to work on a tortoise table now then because i want her to have plenty of space in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.