Size of outdoor hot night box...

swatsx

5 Year Member
Ok so what size of a "hot" box would I need for a single sulcata? What are good dimensions?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Maybe it would help if you told us how big he is,,,,,, 2 inches or 2 feet long

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You want it big enough that the tortoise can get away from the heat source. If you use a pig blanket, you want enough floor space that he can get off the pad if he wants off. If you use an over-head heat source, you want enough space around the hanging fixture that he can get away from it if he wants to. But the smaller the space, the easier to heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a single adult sulcata I like 4x4x2'. I use a 18x28" Kane heat mat over to one side with a 12x21" radiant heat panel over head, all on one thermostat. This way they can still be inside the box, but off of the heat source if they want. In summer I either unplug it or set it down to 70ish, in winter I set it to around 85 since some days they won't be able to warm up as much.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Tom - where is a good place to get the radiant heat panel? I'm setting up a new box for Chuck Norris in Arizona and am glad to have the chance to really do it right this time.

Kadels

5 Year Member
I think I bought some food products from you at the Mesa Reptile Show in November?
Based on some things I've seen posted, 1 overhead RHP, 12x21" 80 watt

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just a wee too expensive on Amazon! One of the few things that get price elevated when sold on Amazon

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I got my last one a 120 watt from Reptile Basics because they offered free super fast shipping since they are only 250 miles from where I live.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Kadels

5 Year Member
Yes. That's the one.
Tom - I need you. I have a contractor building a night box for me. He wants to use a 6x6x5’ shed. I said that will waste heat. I gave him your design. He says: “The Box that 1 of your friends or whoever had recommended was 4' by 4' by 2' they would have to be 4' tall of you're gonna have any type of heat lamp above the animal so that would be 2' deep so the smaller shed is the size that you were talking about I would recommend a bigger one because hes gonna outgrow it and if you're gonna spend the money on it future proof it for the animal.”

The only “heat lamp” I will use overhead is an RHP. Kane heat mat below.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom - I need you. I have a contractor building a night box for me. He wants to use a 6x6x5’ shed. I said that will waste heat. I gave him your design. He says: “The Box that 1 of your friends or whoever had recommended was 4' by 4' by 2' they would have to be 4' tall of you're gonna have any type of heat lamp above the animal so that would be 2' deep so the smaller shed is the size that you were talking about I would recommend a bigger one because hes gonna outgrow it and if you're gonna spend the money on it future proof it for the animal.”

The only “heat lamp” I will use overhead is an RHP. Kane heat mat below.
You aren't going to use a heat lamp. The RHPs must be closer if they are going to work, and making it more than 20-24" tall inside is just a waste of electricity since the tortoise only occupies the bottom 12".

A 4x4x2' box is actually around 40x40x21" inside. This will suit all but the very largest male sulcatas for their whole life. I like this size because the tortoise can get off the heat mat, but still be in the warm air.

There is no shed that is going to work as well. These boxes need to be custom made from scratch. Trying to modify a shed ends up costing more and not working as well.