Size in relation to age question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
We just measured livingstone after her bath. She is 2 years old exactly.
Her SCL is 7.75 inches, SCW is 5.25 inches.

***How big are other sulcatas in the same age range?

Thanks,
Rob.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over the years, most of mine have grown slower than that, but I'd have to say that you have done a better job with Livingston that what I used to do in the past. I am now a firm believer that hydration, in all its forms, keeps them healthier and makes them grow at a much faster, but still very healthy, rate.

In the past, with the dry routine, my sulcatas would usually be around 3.5-4" at two years old. Daisy was/is a good example of this.

Currently, with the super wet routine, my 10 month olds are over 4" and 400 grams. I'm feeding them the same stuff in the same quantities as I did in the past with one exception. When they hit around 6 months old, I started giving them a few Mazuri pellets a couple of times a week, mixed in with their weeds and grass. They were still growing WAY faster than in the past before the Mazuri though, and the Mazuri really didn't seem to change their growth rate. I'd guess that by two years old they will be close to the same size as Livingstone.

I sure like my new method better...

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Thanks Tom. I appreciate the detailed answer, and compliment to my hard work. I too believe that hydration, internally and externally, is the best way to keep sulcata's healthy and growing smooth.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hey Rob...any updated shots of Livingstone? That's pretty impressive BTW!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Dean Im such a photo whore. I should have posted some, I will take some tommorrow morning, after her bath with the tape measure to show you guys.

Also I will need yours, and Toms opinion on her shell.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
As requested, here are some photos.
These were taken today, after her bath.

Take a look at her shell, where the new growth has started it seems to be thicker, slightly raised, and darker. This started after having moved her to the bigger table, where the humidity is harder to maintain... I am going to be inversting in a humidifer for the room she's in to help boost the humidity.

On to the pics.

livilength4111.jpg

liviheight4111.jpg

liviwidth4111.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
My Sulcata named Secretariat is 1 year and 9 months old and is 7 3/8 inches in SCL length.By the way,what do you guys mean by Hydration?
Thanks.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Eleanor is 1.5 years and 5.75 inches.
Chad is 1.75 years and 5.25 inches.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nobody said:
My Sulcata named Secretariat is 1 year and 9 months old and is 7 3/8 inches in SCL length.By the way,what do you guys mean by Hydration?
Thanks.

When I talk about hydration, I'm talking about daily soaks, a shallow water bowl in the enclosure, shell spraying, a humidity producing substrate, and some humidity in the enclosure. I also spray their food with water and some days I'll soak them a second time in the afternoon after sunning all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.