1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Sinyo update <piramiding issue>

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Sinyo, Dec 12, 2013.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Sinyo

Sinyo New Member 5 Year Member

I used closed chamber (85 degrees + 99% humidity) and give him proper diet like greens, grass n mazuri
    he eat once a day in the morning
    i soak him everyday before meal with warm water n let him sunbathing from 8 am to 10 am after that i put him again to his room
    however i saw a little piramiding symptom on his carapace, what do you think guys? is it going to be piramided or will it growing smooth?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. BK-JAY

BK-JAY Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Brooklyn New York
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I don't see any sign of it those just look like growth rings
  3. Sinyo

but i see his scute is growing higher than the dark "ring" :/
    i'm afraid it won't grow smooth like some sullys here that took care with the new method from Tom
  4. alan88k

alan88k Member 5 Year Member

Hello sinyo,
    I think you have abit over worried. From what I see your baby sully is doing just fine. U may reduce ur soaking time abit, probably around 30mins to 45mins. Too much of soaking will not be good to baby too. As long as your enclosure is kept in good humidity n good temp, plus a balance diet fed daily, your baby sully will just do fine.
  5. Sinyo

ahhh its so relieve to hear that :)
    yeaahh i'm a little bit worried about pyramiding issue
    hmmm i think you misunderstand about my post, i mean i sunbathing my tort about 2 hours after soaking :D
    i always soak him about 20-30 minutes
    anyway, thanks for remind me :)
  6. Linz2491

Linz2491 Member 5 Year Member

Could you soak after sunbathing instead of before? He may be dyhydrated after being outside. I am really worried about pyramiding with my baby too. I am trying to remember that if we are doing all the right things that the teeny bit of raised scutes that happen as a baby won't even be really visible as an adult. And it doesn't cause Health issues. I think a perfectly smooth shell to me just means that my husbandry was perfect which of course I want but hard to obtain.
  7. Saleama

Saleama Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Irving Texas
    Sulcata actually means "furrowed" and describes the large furrows between the scutes of the Sulcata tortoise. There is going to be a height difference from the scutes to the furrows. This is not pryamiding. Pyramiding is when the new growth on the scute is higher than the older growth.
    [hr]
    I have also been told that more than half an hour to an hour in the sun is too much. I used to keep mine outside all day on Friday - Sunday and was cautioned to stop doing so until thy were older. They were 2 - 3 months old at the time.
  8. alan88k

alan88k Member 5 Year Member

hmmm i think you misunderstand about my post, i mean i sunbathing my tort about 2 hours after soaking :D
    i always soak him about 20-30 minutes
    anyway, thanks for remind me :)
    [/quote]

Opss..I got u wrong! haha..great you r doing a good job there..no worry :) your sully is having a great life there! ;)