Simply MAXI and ALDO

ben awes

5 Year Member
View attachment 133810 As for the import, all look good, I'll try to upload the photos tomorrow. Something is not right with my iphone right now. Sorry
So, these animals are stunning and I want them all! But what's the deal with their color? Are they oiled or something? They don't look wet from water. I would be concerned if they are oiled unless that can be explained to me!

Soefianto

Location (City and/or State)
Surabaya, East Java - INDONESIA
So, these animals are stunning and I want them all! But what's the deal with their color? Are they oiled or something? They don't look wet from water. I would be concerned if they are oiled unless that can be explained to me!
You are correct, I asked the same thing, the importer said, I gave some Bertolli's Virgin Olive Oil after showered them upon arrival. It should be okay right, I thought somebody just spray some silicon, almost give me a heart attack..

Soefianto

Unfortunately, the double schute that I showed in other thread, I went to see it but it was not for sale because of its condition, it looked so sad and unhealthy.

Or should I wait for that one?? Anyway, Aldabra always great whether they happy or sad.. I don't mind..

Alaskamike

South Florida
It is impossible to give any advice on the right one from photos. Hope you get the one that's right for you:). I'd love to have another one myself , but just more than I can spend right now. If I was young enough a breeding program might be in my head, but they take too many years for maturity
So I'll always be a hobbiest

Soefianto

It is impossible to give any advice on the right one from photos. Hope you get the one that's right for you:). I'd love to have another one myself , but just more than I can spend right now. If I was young enough a breeding program might be in my head, but they take too many years for maturity
So I'll always be a hobbiest
Yes I thought by just looking at the photos would be sufficient, but anyway appreciated your honesty..
I want to become like Greg here in Indonesia so at least I can help conserve the animal and at the same time supporting my hobby.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good fortunes in your enterprise.

The problem with giving advice on which one to buy is that there is no substitute for handling one in person. For me, I wouldn't be worried about minor differences like a double shutes. This often occurs in nature , and is caused by higher temps ( amount other things) in incubation period for the tortoise.

There is some belief that more of these are female , as higher heat during incubation tends to produce more females.

Overall health is more important.
If I had plans for a breeding colony someday I would focus on having one healthy male and several females. Then getting a place with a couple acres to develop into a secure proper habitat.
Would be a great family business. Learning all you can about these animals and contributing to the hobby

ben awes

5 Year Member
You are correct, I asked the same thing, the importer said, I gave some Bertolli's Virgin Olive Oil after showered them upon arrival. It should be okay right, I thought somebody just spray some silicon, almost give me a heart attack..
Yes, that's what it looks like. I can't imagine it would hurt them, but it doesn't help them either. It's simply a marketing gimmick at the expense of the animal - which would suggest to me the dealer does not have the animals best interest in mind, even if it's not that big of a deal. but I'm no expert! They do look healthy though, at least from the photos. And the oil really does make them look beautiful!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Beautiful high shelled Aldabra for sure.
It is amazing the price of these i your area, very similar to the US. Have you considered getting several younger ones instead? I'm playing devils advocate here...hahaha

But I would think about this:
You want an eventual breeding program
At these young ages sex is very difficult to determine, even experts have been wrong.
You are learning all the time how to raise them healthy and strong - so your skill with a younger one is better than most

In an earlier thread you mentioned a group of yearlings sold at 2,000USD each. For what this one is going for, you could have bought 5. Maybe could order them from the same importer.

Here is a potential tactic for growing a business. If you bought several younger ones 5" or so.....as many as you could afford
and raised them for the next 5 years. You might be able to sell some of them - pool the money together - and get a larger female.
or hang onto them till you know the sex and then cull the herd.

These torts when healthy do gain in potential value with age and size. If it is you putting in the years of care for them, it is you that benefits from the increased value when/if you sell them. I guess it matters if you are thinking in terms of pets, or in terms of an eventual breeding colony.

however it goes - good fortune to you

Soefianto

Yes I thought about it, I guess it could be better for me to try raising the younger ones.

While I'm doing it also learn how to manage the young ones, thanks Mike really appreciated your feedback and suggestion.

Soefianto

i am sorry for being vacuum for so long as my mother in laws battling colon cancer for 9 months and finally rest in peace. It was really hard on us.

Anyway, I will try to get Maxi and Aldo progress photos in the weekend and share it with all of you, as they already grew so much...