Simple DIY Cactus Feeder for Tortoises - Version 2

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
I had come up with a neat idea for a DIY cactus feeder for my tortoises with PVC pipes in this following link...

This idea works well for my tortoises, and watching them happily eating the cactus has become one of my favorite things to do during this pandemic period. However, with this PCV pipe+ground stake cactus feeder, the tortoises are chomping thru the cactus like green salad, and I have to replenish the fresh one every morning by pulling the ground stake out of the ground to restock the cactus. And the PVC pipe idea only works on soil and cannot be used on flat concrete surface. I know there should be something else that I can use to improve upon the original cactus feeder. Then I saw this during one of my trip to Home Depot...

This steel bar is cheap, and it allows me to enhance the cactus feeder idea.
cactus feeder 01.jpg

Once you pound the steel bar into the ground, instead of using the PVC pipe to hold the cactus in place, you can now use the blinder clip to adjust the height of the cactus on the fly.
cactus feeder 02.jpg

To restock the cactus, I would just need to poke through the cactus from the top of the steel bar without pulling out the steel bar, and I have added a PVC pipe cap to cover the sharp end of the steel bar.
cactus feeder 03.jpg

With a metal bender, I can also transform the shape of the steel bar.
cactus feeder 04.jpg

The L-shaped steel bar and a piece of flat paver or stone
cactus feeder 05.jpg

Now the cactus feeder idea can work on flat concrete surface.
cactus feeder 06.jpg

The steel bar can also be transformed into an u-shaped hanger and hang onto wall or a piece of furniture in tortoise's habitat.
cactus feeder 07.jpg

Again... it is such a wonderful feeling to see your tortoises are chomping happily on cactus.
cactus feeder 08.jpg

I think the steel bar DIY cactus feeder works out pretty nicely. You should give it a try and sit back and enjoy watching your tortoises munching the cactus.