Sick?

jeannettep

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have 2 rf shes between 5-6 inches long. We built a humid hide with a radiator 600 watt, connected to inkbird set at 80. I have a small greenhouse house attached to the front openings with sizable openings on it for air flow & their fav plants & grasses with a soaker hose going on a few min everyday light. They have been eating fruits sprinkled replashy & mazuri over the winter, but south Tx, we do not see cold weather & it was mild this yr. So 1 rf has been doing great, he hears me coming & is waiting see see the buffet. They loved their sun room! But the last week, the other 1 is not coming out or staying in the sun room, she just stays in the hide box. She just didnt seem active, so I have been soaking her everyday inside & feeding her by herself. But the past 3 days she is opening 1 eye & after a soak will have 2 eyes open, but she has not eaten in 3 days. Its mid to upper 70s now during the day, but upper 60s at night. Would it help to remove the sun room now since they use their hide & it's not cold? Is their anything else I can try to help her? Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At that size, separating them is going to be necessary for the health of both of them.
Pairs don't live together.
They are solitary creatures and having another tortoise visible causes stress.
Aside from that, photos of the enclosure and lighting would help to give us a better idea as far as suggestions go.

jeannettep

Texas
She if that's what it is. Idk & it doesn't matter to me. Looked great today! I opened the hide box & she looked up at me & walked over to me. So inside she went for a long soak & meal time by herself, then put in her side of the hide. I soaked her 2x yesterday. It's going to be over 80 this week. I'm so excited to turn them out to their big area for more exploring time its 21ft x 10ft. I'm really impressed with their memory! I let them explore for a little while on a warm sunny day. They remembered where the heated water feature was! Right now I still have greenhouses up. We always get a cold snap at Easter. Next year I plan to put that big greenhouse on it's back it will cover more area. These pics are from the fall. I just got the plants on clearance. So after this time in the greenhouses, they are big! In the little greenhouse, it is full of vegetation. Except for the spineless cactus, it must be really yummy. But I'm growing another one in a different mini greenhouse. All plants were selected from the approved tort plant list & by the master gardener, knowing I have a difficult time growing plants. One of the grasses she said would be really good cover & would be really healthy if they ate it, but she doubted the would eat it. She is right, but they like camping out around them.

Anyways, their winter location is not ideal. Their hide is 2x4 each with their own side. They have access to the greenhouse & on warm days free time in the full area. I think they will enjoy it more when I remove the larger greenhouse. That is really growing with plants & grasses. I'd like to grow more fruits for them. I have grapes & strawberries. Some flowers. Blackberries grow well here. I need to work on more & stepping stones to walk in it. I haven't removed the old habitat yet. Knowing me I'll probably decide to do that in Aug when it's hot. I caught a hawk sitting on my fence, so I added a camo cover with holes in it that hangs over it but still let's light in. I plan to double the size of their hide, but this gave me a start.

When should I expect them to be out of the winter slowdown?

2019-12-17 15.39.43.jpg15771221135181040532103273005911.jpg2019-12-17 15.39.22.jpg15771214042467193126235759156546.jpg