Sick sulcata - advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I was asked to foster a sick sulcata for a while. I agreed and went to pick him up today. Oh my! This little one is horribly pyramided and very, very, ill! He's on Baytril, and the vet said he needs to be wormed, but she couldn't get his head out to worm him. I think we agreed that it's not looking good for him. I have a lot of experience with sick tortoises, but I've never dealt with a sulcata. I will give him the baby food soaks, but since he's bigger I wonder if I should use canned pumpkin? How hot should he be kept (keeping in mind that he is not moving at all!)? How many times a day should he be soaked? (I don't like to soak the desert species too much.) Any other advice on how to help this little one would be much appreciated.

M

Maggie Cummings

Soak him once a day for about an hour if he is holding his head up. Put a light over the container to keep the water warm and use strained carrots or squash. How big is he? Maybe you want to use a whole jar. Keep his ambient temp about 85 with a basking spot of 95 to 100.
Post a pix and tell me how much he weighs. You might want to hold him, is he eating? Feed him the same as a CDT.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He is not holding his head up - I can't even get my hands around his head - it's so far back in the shell. Is it still safe to soak him? He is about the size of my ibera's, but I haven't weighed him yet. He is not eating, and from what I hear he has not eaten in a very long time. I will post a pic when my hubby comes home with the camera.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Like Maggie says.. Soak him...and keep him warm.. I keep my sick torts at 90*F

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If you soak him in a container just have it at an incline to keep his head out the water if he wont stick it out.. Poor little guy..

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Laura said:
how is he doing?

He's holding his own for now. He does stick his head out when he gets nice and warm, but his eyes are still closed and he isn't eating yet. At least I can get him wormed now that he has his head out. That should help him start feeling better.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If you can, put some sort of barrier in between him and his heat lamp to keep him from dehydrating. I take a clear plastic tote or shoebox, turn it upside down, cut a door in it, and stuff it with damp sphagnum moss. Put it directly under the light with him in it. Monitor the temp inside. This allows you to keep him warm and humid at the same time - the water that evaporates will condense on the top of the box and drip back down.

I would only do a half dose of the wormer, personally. It can make him sick in such a weak state.

Good luck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have to say that the thing that stuck out with me....I don't know if worming would be a great thing at a fragile state? Was he tested for parasites? Confirmed he has buggers? Kristina is perfect on warm and humid...warm being the operative word during his healing....IMHO

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
ascott said:
I have to say that the thing that stuck out with me....I don't know if worming would be a great thing at a fragile state? Was he tested for parasites? Confirmed he has buggers? Kristina is perfect on warm and humid...warm being the operative word during his healing....IMHO

Yes, the vet did a fecal on him and was going to worm him herself, but she couldn't get his head out. She told me to do it as soon as he started putting his head out. This is a vet I trust, but I admit I'm nervous about it as well. Of course, the sooner he gets rid of the worms, the better he'll feel too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a tough one....however, if he was not infested with parasites I would hold off a bit....not for good but just for a bit....You however are there and seeing him in real time...so your judgement is first hand, you know? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.