Sick Galapagos Tortoise

TortoiseRacket

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I am So happy she is doing better. They are wonderful animals. And you are too, for taking such good care of her!
UPDATE: Dutchess has thyroid disease. So much better than the things I feared. Her thyroid is enlarged and not producing the hormone. So she has to take thyroid pills probably for the rest of her life. The vet found no sign of heart, liver or renal failure in the lab work although he acknowledges those things don't always manifest in lab results. And she is already showing signs of improvement! The swelling seems to be gone except for her goiter which has also diminished in size and feels softer. And best of all, she can WALK now! We unloaded her and she walked into her house, about 200 feet away! Then she walked back out and walked back in again. It was amazing! She still doesn't want to eat very much though. Hopefully she will start feeling good and then eating better.
Thank you all so very much for your concern and helpful suggestions. It has been such a comfort to read your replies. I will continue to update as I notice more improvement. Maybe Dutchess can be as good as new again! @MKNOX.
That’s amazing! I’m so happy!

Bee62

Germany
You are exactly right! Her diagnosis after the ultrasound test is now hypothyroidism and protein-losing enteropathy, the cause of which is unknown to the vet. The vet said that the iodine wasn't helping because the thyroid isn't functioning, meaning it isn't producing the hormone. So now she has to take thyroid pills. Already seeing improvement!
I am very, very glad that my guess was helpful !!!! Hopefully with the hormone your big baby is able to recover.:):):)

Bee62

Germany
~ We have no experience with that species, however we have never had any similar experiences like that in our aldabra population.

@Olddog
@ALDABRAMAN It is now completely clear to me that you never had any similiar problems ( thyroid problems of giant tortoises ) with your tortoises, because you and your tortoises are living near the ocean ! Ocean water always contents traces of iodine. Rain and wind are carrying tiny doses of iodine on the land and plants that your tortoises are eating. With enough input of iodine the thyroids of your tortoises stay healthy. That is why you will never have such a problem with your giants.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
@ALDABRAMAN It is now completely clear to me that you never had any similiar problems ( thyroid problems of giant tortoises ) with your tortoises, because you and your tortoises are living near the ocean ! Ocean water always contents traces of iodine. Rain and wind are carrying tiny doses of iodine on the land and plants that your tortoises are eating. With enough input of iodine the thyroids of your tortoises stay healthy. That is why you will never have such a problem with your giants.
How are you giving your aldabras iodine? You said In the soak water right? I’m sorry if this is off topic please forgive me just want to make sure I don’t miss anything important.

Last edited:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

~ WOW, Never even considered that.....interesting.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
How are you giving your aldabras iodine? You said In the soak water right? I’m sorry if this is off topic please forgive me just want to make sure I don’t miss anything important.

~ Our wells are the only sources for water, other than rain. It is untreated and straight from the well. We are not far from the ocean, very interesting concept. The majority of our population seem to prefer to drink directly from the ground, which would support that they get trace minerals, etc. from the dirt, sand, and from the untreated well water.

Bee62

Germany
Your questions is not off topic at all ! Yes, I give my tortoises from time to time an iodine pill in their soaking water. They are still very young and small. I don`t want to overdose iodine and I think in the soaking water is it no problem.
Another possible way to supply tortoises with natural iodine is to feed algae calcium but my torts don`t like it to eat.

MKNOX

Jupiter Florida
UPDATE: Dutchess has thyroid disease. So much better than the things I feared. Her thyroid is enlarged and not producing the hormone. So she has to take thyroid pills probably for the rest of her life. The vet found no sign of heart, liver or renal failure in the lab work although he acknowledges those things don't always manifest in lab results. And she is already showing signs of improvement! The swelling seems to be gone except for her goiter which has also diminished in size and feels softer. And best of all, she can WALK now! We unloaded her and she walked into her house, about 200 feet away! Then she walked back out and walked back in again. It was amazing! She still doesn't want to eat very much though. Hopefully she will start feeling good and then eating better.
Thank you all so very much for your concern and helpful suggestions. It has been such a comfort to read your replies. I will continue to update as I notice more improvement. Maybe Dutchess can be as good as new again! @MKNOX.
I am very happy to hear of her improvement. Please keep us updated.

Olddog

5 Year Member
Florida

Very glad to hear your Dutchess is doing well! Hypothyroidism is usually easily treated. Am I correct in assuming Dutchess had her thyoid checked by Dr. Funk's group and again at UG s few months ago. It would be very intresting to note her previous TSH and T4 levels compared to present should you care to share. I would have thought it would take years after normal studies to develope her severe myxedematous changes and am surprised it occured over a period of months. In any case it is a relief to learn she is hypothroid and is being effectively treated.

Linked is a video of how we usually move the females when more is required than opening a gate. I usually can load and transport up to about 230 lb by myself but some of the young males can be challanging. The leverage requirement is such that two persons make it easier and safer for moving larger tortoises. I have laid down sheets of old plywood over which to roll a cart but that is rarely necessary. The cart in the video is from Home Depo and admittedly we abuse same. Previously I have replaced axles and wheels on this type of cart due to my abuse of same. To unload, the cart is tipped into the truck or trailer and the slide controlled. We also have used ramps for getting the carts to a higher elevation. For the big males we prefer to use bribery. Occasionally we must use machinery.

Upon placing the tortoise at the front of the cart, I usually lift the front of the tortoise with one hand and pull the cart under the plastrum. Pancho does it slightly different in the video. The edge of the cart and the rear of the tortoise are rocked up. The tortoise must retract thier legs before being slid to the bottom of the cart. Takes longer to type than to do. This young male below is about the largest we move in a cart this size. Hope this will give you some ideas.
IMG_3887.jpg

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Your questions is not off topic at all ! Yes, I give my tortoises from time to time an iodine pill in their soaking water. They are still very young and small. I don`t want to overdose iodine and I think in the soaking water is it no problem.
Another possible way to supply tortoises with natural iodine is to feed algae calcium but my torts don`t like it to eat.

I’ve never read on here of iodine for sulcatas? I’d this something I need to add, this is so stressing me e! Mine is 350 grams

Bee62

Germany
I’ve never read on here of iodine for sulcatas? I’d this something I need to add, this is so stressing me e! Mine is 350 grams
All tortoises need iodine for a healthy thyorid but it seems that galapagos tortoises more often suffer a lack of iodine.

Kells Bells

Ireland
I've started adding a bit of dulse seaweed to my redfoot's diet every couple of weeks, to increase diversity of nutrients and their sources, including iodine.

Jamie
I have a red foot also. Are there any other type of foods good for iodine?

Turtle Love

Female, 25 yrs. Entire body swollen, worse in neck. She won't move or eat for 3 days. Same problem 6 months ago. Vet at University of FL in Gainesville thought low blood protein caused by inability of protein to pass thru gut into bloodstream causing body to compensate by leaking fluid. Flagyl helped but 6 months later problem returned. I'm wondering if it could be renal failure but don't know why vet didn't suggest renal problem. Flagyl isn't helping this time. She is very sick. Can anyone help?
Second Update 1.23.2019
Dutchess continues to slowly improve. Swelling is mostly gone except for the goiter. She walks more, comes outside now, is awake much more, and more alert although still somewhat lethargic. But she watches for me again like she did before she got sick. And today, she even stood up and approached when she saw me. She also tries to stand up when I pet her although she's still a little unsteady. She also is eager to eat everyday. Even though she still looks and acts a little bit "out of it" or dazed, all the little improvements add up. I know she is feeling better though because she is glad to see me the way she always was before she got sick. She may need her dosage of levothyroxine increased. The vet will make a determination in a couple of weeks.
Thank all of you again for your help because it was all of your responses and concern that convinced my sweetheart to once again max out our credit cards to save her one more time. Now I am slowly getting my baby back the way she used to be. Love you all!

Turtle Love

Wow. I just discovered this post and it's a huge revelation. I tried for weeks to give my galap iodine. She HATED it. She lurched backwards, spit and gagged. I think it was traumatic for her. But there was no way to hide the taste even using foods with strong flavors like bell peppers. The iodine from the ocean must taste and smell different. Your post makes me determined to see if I can order fresh kelp from somewhere. I think I read once that galaps eat it in their natural habitat. Not sure about the salt content though. Maybe rinse it before feeding?