Sick Galapagos Tortoise

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Big day for Dutchess today! She has been resting peacefully at UF for 2 days. Today, she gets her cardiac ultrasound test. They will probably have the results today and will call me. The staff has been so good, calling me every morning to tell me how she's doing (letting me know she made it thru another nite). Will update this forum as soon as I know the test results.
When she is in a reptile clinic let the vet`s there check her thyroid function ! I am very sure that this is the whole problem. And they can give her iodine that she needs. Thyroid malfunction causes heart, kidney and liver problems. A vet should know that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When she is in a reptile clinic let the vet`s there check her thyroid function ! I am very sure that this is the whole problem. And they can give her iodine that she needs. Thyroid malfunction causes heart, kidney and liver problems. A vet should know that.
And goiter (thyroid problem) is quite common in the Galop.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Big day for Dutchess today! She has been resting peacefully at UF for 2 days. Today, she gets her cardiac ultrasound test. They will probably have the results today and will call me. The staff has been so good, calling me every morning to tell me how she's doing (letting me know she made it thru another nite). Will update this forum as soon as I know the test results.
We know how stressful this is for both you and Dutchess, and we realize there will be times when you're too exhausted -- mentally, physically, and emotionally -- to provide much of an update. Just let us know as you're able. We're pulling for her.

UF has an excellent veterinary program and extensive resources. Dutchess will be in excellent hands.

Warmest thoughts.
-Anne

KAGDR

North Central Florida
Would this work as far as moving a large tortoise -they make these sling type things with handles for Giant breed dogs,
they get weak or loose function of their hips/back legs, and the sling things have shoulder straps so you dont break your back
lifting them to take them out to go piddle. My one Dane was 200 lbs and I could take him outside by myself ,
even though he could barely walk
If you used one, you'd probably need 2 people still ,or modify one to get the baby high enough to go on one of those garden carts,with big fat tires ,
you could wheel the tortoise right up into or out the truck. You'd need some kind of safety straps.
Or you could even make one of those garden carts into a low rider..So you could tip him to one side ,
slip the cart next to him and slide him on to the cart ,like a tortoise dolly ,you just need the big fat tires and heavy frame....

Turtle Love

You are exactly right! Her diagnosis after the ultrasound test is now hypothyroidism and protein-losing enteropathy, the cause of which is unknown to the vet. The vet said that the iodine wasn't helping because the thyroid isn't functioning, meaning it isn't producing the hormone. So now she has to take thyroid pills. Already seeing improvement!

Turtle Love

We know how stressful this is for both you and Dutchess, and we realize there will be times when you're too exhausted -- mentally, physically, and emotionally -- to provide much of an update. Just let us know as you're able. We're pulling for her.

UF has an excellent veterinary program and extensive resources. Dutchess will be in excellent hands.

Warmest thoughts.
-Anne
Anne, if only there was a "love" button to click for your post, I would have clicked it. I have been so worried about not updating for all the wonderful people who have been so concerned. Three long road trips in 4 days, 2 for Dutchess and one on Christmas plus taking care of all the other turtles. The trips for Dutchess ended up being 3 and 1/2 and 4 hours because of road construction. We've been so tired just like you said. But now I can't wait to tell everyone how Dutchess is doing.

Turtle Love

Do realize how big a Galapagos tortoise is! This person has done very well with her tortoise. She has provided everything it needs plus take her to the vet as needed. Where do you see animal cruelty? You should read the whole story and understand what is going on before you accuse someone of this.
Anxiously awaiting information on the test, any news?
Anxiously awaiting information on the test, any news?
Hi, I'm so sorry for not updating sooner. We got so tired. But yes, there is news and it's GOOD. Dutchess has hypothyroidism. Her thyroid gland is enlarged and nonfunctional. So she has to take thyroid medication probably for the rest of her life. But as far as the vet can tell, there is no sign of heart failure or renal failure which were my two biggest fears. She is already showing improvement - she can walk now! It's amazing! Thank you so much for your concern. It gives me such a warm feeling inside from all the concerned and helpful people in this forum.

Turtle Love

I agree, Cheryl. If they had read further they would realize that the tortoise is at the University of Florida's vet right now.
Thank you for explaining to the new member. He probably gets lost amid the posts like I do. I type a reply, but it doesn't "land" under the post I replied to. It copies the post at the bottom of the page along with my reply. I THINK that's what happens, but not sure. I have trouble finding my way around. I get so confused that I think I have replied to MYSELF a few times! As for the "take a taxi" post, it made me laugh. I'm amazed at how many people don't know what a Galapagos tortoise is. I thought EVERYONE watched Nat Geo, lol.

Turtle Love

Would this work as far as moving a large tortoise -they make these sling type things with handles for Giant breed dogs,
they get weak or loose function of their hips/back legs, and the sling things have shoulder straps so you dont break your back
lifting them to take them out to go piddle. My one Dane was 200 lbs and I could take him outside by myself ,
even though he could barely walk
If you used one, you'd probably need 2 people still ,or modify one to get the baby high enough to go on one of those garden carts,with big fat tires ,
you could wheel the tortoise right up into or out the truck. You'd need some kind of safety straps.
Or you could even make one of those garden carts into a low rider..So you could tip him to one side ,
slip the cart next to him and slide him on to the cart ,like a tortoise dolly ,you just need the big fat tires and heavy frame....
Big fat tires would make a HUGE difference. Dutchess weighs 211lbs now, only 11 lbs more than your awesome Dane. So maybe a sling could work although I would be afraid of her tipping and sliding out of it.The trouble for my husband is ME! I'm a 115 lbs weakling which is a problem if I'm all he has available to help him. 200 pounds on my shoulder might drive me into the ground, lol. Tortoises are so dense and solid with totally inflexible bodies and slippery shells. Fat tires would DEFINITELY help. Thank you for your suggestions. I'll show your post to my husband.

Turtle Love

Can you imagine the Uber driver's face when they arrive to pick up 1 person and 1 Galap [emoji23]
LOL! I'm not sure how many taxi drivers (if ANY) would put a large tortoise in their vehicle even if it was in a large tub. But the drive took 3 and 1/2 hours to get Dutchess to the vet and 4 hours to go back to pick her up. Lots of road construction caused traffic jams. The taxi would have cost more than the vet, lol.

Turtle Love

I was thinking of the look on the Uber driver's face, too. That would be hilarious! :D

Wanted: Moving company for one piece of priceless art. Extra large, 200 pounds, extremely delicate. Must travel top side up. Climate control and lifting equipment required. Submit quotes to @Turtle Love with copies of license, insurance, and bond.

@Turtle Love, I hope that gives you a much needed laugh. :D
LOVE this!!! I'm laughing out loud! Yes, a much needed laugh. Seriously thinking of copying and saving this post in case I need it in the future!

Turtle Love

I wish you the best of luck with your tortoise!

For the post up on this page, the Uber driver may have to rent a uhaul truck! :D
LOL!!! Or a stretch limo! Thanks for the good wishes. I think she's going to be ok. She just needs to take thyroid pills. Much better diagnosis than the ones I feared (heart, liver or renal failure).

Turtle Love

I am so very glad to hear you got her there, but sorry it was so difficult. Please keep all of us updated! I know I am concerned for her, and praying too. I want to see this girl healthy!
Thank you so much for your concern and prayers. I think Dutchess will be ok. She has thyroid disease! Not good, but not nearly as bad as the things I feared I don't think. She has to take thyroid pills. Iodine wasn't helping because her thyroid isn't producing the hormone she needs. But her swelling has already gone down a lot and she can walk now! It's amazing!

Turtle Love

UPDATE: Dutchess has thyroid disease. So much better than the things I feared. Her thyroid is enlarged and not producing the hormone. So she has to take thyroid pills probably for the rest of her life. The vet found no sign of heart, liver or renal failure in the lab work although he acknowledges those things don't always manifest in lab results. And she is already showing signs of improvement! The swelling seems to be gone except for her goiter which has also diminished in size and feels softer. And best of all, she can WALK now! We unloaded her and she walked into her house, about 200 feet away! Then she walked back out and walked back in again. It was amazing! She still doesn't want to eat very much though. Hopefully she will start feeling good and then eating better.
Thank you all so very much for your concern and helpful suggestions. It has been such a comfort to read your replies. I will continue to update as I notice more improvement. Maybe Dutchess can be as good as new again! @MKNOX.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you so much for your concern and prayers. I think Dutchess will be ok. She has thyroid disease! Not good, but not nearly as bad as the things I feared I don't think. She has to take thyroid pills. Iodine wasn't helping because her thyroid isn't producing the hormone she needs. But her swelling has already gone down a lot and she can walk now! It's amazing!
Yeah! Excellent news! I'm doing my happy dance: [emoji126]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi, I'm so sorry for not updating sooner. We got so tired. But yes, there is news and it's GOOD. Dutchess has hypothyroidism. Her thyroid gland is enlarged and nonfunctional. So she has to take thyroid medication probably for the rest of her life. But as far as the vet can tell, there is no sign of heart failure or renal failure which were my two biggest fears. She is already showing improvement - she can walk now! It's amazing! Thank you so much for your concern. It gives me such a warm feeling inside from all the concerned and helpful people in this forum.
I am So happy she is doing better. They are wonderful animals. And you are too, for taking such good care of her!