Sick 7 month old

Sunnygirl

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz
My friend has a sick baby sulcata tortoise. We don’t know what’s wrong but neee advice.

Attachments

• A0969E86-FDE7-463B-8BD7-C11E10F59DD7.jpeg
    A0969E86-FDE7-463B-8BD7-C11E10F59DD7.jpeg
    806 KB · Views: 71

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Pictures of the enclosure, what bulbs do you use and temperature, what is it eating? Do you soak him in shallow warm water?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Who is homeless? The tortoise or your friend?
The more information we can get, the better and quicker we can help you with this!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
How did your friend get the turtle? It’s not going to survive in homeless conditions.
not trying to be rude or anything. when you say homeless… you mean out on the streets or living in a car or something?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
So sorry to hear about your friend's situation!

Sulcata tortoise hatchlings need specific conditions of temperature and humidity and space.

If you or your friend cannot provide the following care, it would be best to surrender the wee one to a reptile rescue:

zovick

10 Year Member!
My friend has a sick baby sulcata tortoise. We don’t know what’s wrong but neee advice.
The tortoise looks very ill. It is probably being kept too cool as well as being dehydrated.

Are the owners able to keep it at about 85 degrees day and night and soak it in warm water for 20-30 minutes daily? If not, it is probably doomed to death. Its front leg looks very thin, so it may be that it has not been getting enough to eat as well.

And to answer one of your questions, yes, it looks fairly close to death at this time. It may already be too late to save it, but it is still worth trying to do so.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
we need to know what living condition the tortoise is in. Is your friend in a shelter? Or living outside?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sadly this needs to be rescued as they need regular upkeep, warmth, food and water. Could you offer to take it assuming you can look after it?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This looks pretty hopeless apart from some kind of miracle, but Sunnygirl, thank you for trying to help this poor little tortoise.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
@Sunnygirl
You are yet another OP who has gone silent very shortly after asking for help and not answering anyone's questions. It's rather frustrating to those who are trying to give you advice to help save the tortoise.

Has this tortoise died by now or not?
May I gently suggest another perspective?

I understand the frustration around trying to help and then receiving radio silence. Perhaps OPs experience remorse, embarrassment or even shame. Perhaps we can hold grace for those who struggle and don’t know how to respond. Maybe we could just make peace with the fact that we helped the best we could, and expect nothing in return. I believe knowing the outcome may not be as important as making invaluable knowledge available to people desperate for help. Every post you and other experts make also educates the rest of us.

I say all of this in humble acknowledgment of all of your knowledge and experience. Please do not see this post as disrespect…

nicoleann2214

NY

I understand the frustration around trying to help and then receiving radio silence. Perhaps OPs experience remorse, embarrassment or even shame. Perhaps we can hold grace for those who struggle and don’t know how to respond. Maybe we could just make peace with the fact that we helped the best we could, and expect nothing in return. I believe knowing the outcome may not be as important as making invaluable knowledge available to people desperate for help. Every post you and other experts make also educates the rest of us.

I say all of this in humble acknowledgment of all of your knowledge and experience. Please do not see this post as disrespect…
Well said.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

I hope they are embarrassed by their post ?‍♀️ Unless they are a child… that would explain it.