Sick 5 yo

chomer

5 Year Member
My 5 yo seems sick with a smelly slimey head and keeps retracting it in and out. Eyes clear no weazing or rasping. Won't or can't eat. He lives outside and it's 103 today

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Smelly smiley head? Does he have shade and a big water hole of some kind that he can get into? I am not sure what you mean. Pictures might help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does it have a burrow to get out of the heat? They can heat stroke and die in temps over 100.

Are you using misters or sprinklers or a hose? Does he have heavy shade to retreat to? Where are you?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm thinking your tortoise may have overheated as well when they get too hot and have no place to Xscape they cover themselves in mucus in a last-ditch effort to cool off before they die.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If he doesn't have a burrow, you need to provide him with a way to cool off. Charlie has a dugout that I soak with water to keep him cool. I've noticed he will get wet looking on his face when it is in the 90s. When I see that, I assume he needs cooling off and I'll spray him with water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd take the tort to a vet immediately. I've a feeling it's too much heat, but I am guessing.;)

Please post pictures of you tort asap. And a warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Keep us updated, and hope to hear your tort is better, soon.:<3:

chomer

5 Year Member
BTW Big was stung by a black widow or scorpion and died the next day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
BTW Big was stung by a black widow or scorpion and died the next day.
Aw geez, I'm so sorry. This is quite unusual. Normally tortoises can share their burrows with all sorts of non tortoise creatures. Thanks for letting us know. We all learn from others' experiences.