Should you have two starve days

Bradley price

Location (City and/or State)
West Sussex
My tortoise is 6 months old and I saw online that you should have 2 days where you don’t feed them. Should I do this?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Absolutely not.

A tortoise’s natural behaviour is to browse for food interspersed With basking. They eat every day in the wild (unlike carnivores like big cats)

Your tortoise should be first thing every day without fail. A mound of greens roughly the size of its shell is a good starting point. If it’s all eaten then offer more.

It won’t overeat and it won’t get fat

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As you guessed, no!
I suggest reading info on this forum and not other places. Most if not all info outside this forum is wrong, outdated or plain stupid.
In the wild the only time a tortoise would likely not eat would be during brumation, bad or cold weather or if there was no food around.
There are times they will eat less then normal but that should be their choice.

Maggiemay

Dromore
My tortoise is 6 months old and I saw online that you should have 2 days where you don’t feed them. Should I do this?
I feed mine twice each day.Morning and late afternoon but only as much as they can eat in about 25 minuted

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I feed mine twice each day.Morning and late afternoon but only as much as they can eat in about 25 minuted
Tortoises are browsers. They don’t eat meals like you and I. They bask and eat alternately theoughout the day.

please don’t place a time limit on eating. Place a load of food in the morning and leave them to eat it as they go about their day. It doesn’t matter if it goes a bit limp. They don’t care and it won’t harm them.