Should we 'let him' hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I was just reading that if the tort is not hibernated it can cause long term health problems.
I was not planning to decrease Calvin's temps etc. And so far he seems willing to eat twice a day and cruise around etc.
Now after reading this I am concerned that we should hibernate him.

What do you all think? Do you all hibernate your torts in the winter?

Thank you all AGAIN:D

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
If he is new to you, don't hibernate him this year. He'll be fine if you do it next year. This is my first year with torts and I'm not hibernating them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have to take into account where Calvin is from Colleen. I don't hibernate any of my Middle Eastern greeks. Most of the Middle Eastern greeks don't hibernate or do so for a very short period of time in the wild.
All my males have been fertile and the females are laying eggs, so they are obviously fine with what I'm doing. :D

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
From what I have gathered, its really not necessary to hibernate if you arent planning on breeding anyways. (mostly goes for other species besides Greeks)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I haven't hibernated by two and they seem fine with it. Echo is actively digging nests as we speak but no eggs as yet. And they seem fine.
I have also heard if you are going to hibernate you probebly shouldn't do it the first year you have them. Just to make sure all is ok with them.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Robyn,
I'm glad she's digging :D How deep is your substrate? To do a proper nest she needs to have at least 6 inches to dig in.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you guys/and girls:)
I have to say I am quite relieved.

The fact that our Rankin Beardie goes into brumation for 3-4 months every year, no matter what we do, is very nerve wracking. Being a mammal myself, it is counter-intuitive to watch something not eat for that period of time and lie motionless:(

I also appreciate the explanation and your first hand experience:D

Status
Not open for further replies.