Should two 11 year old be allowed ti hike without an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
What do you think?
I just called my 11 year old son to see where he is. He and a friend went hiking about an hour and a half ago. He said it is too hard to explain where he is, but he is in a valley. Both boys have cell phones, but I don't like not knowing where they are. We live on a cul-de-sac that has hiking and horse trails on all three sides of us, so I don't even know what dirrection they went. Am I being over protective and paraniod? I am thinking I should have at least found out what direction they were going. The sun is starting to go down and I am getting nervous.

Thoughts please?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I don't think there's a right answer for everyone. If you're not comfortable with your 11-year old hiking alone with a friend then that's your call!
Do you live in a relatively safe area?

Maybe next time you could make sure you know their general direction at least; that would probably make you feel more comfortable.
That's great they have cell phones though!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hmmm Angi, I would be worried too. I think I am overprotective though. Are they really familiar with the area or was this their first time? Tell them dinner is ready or something and have them come home, is it getting dark there, it is here? Please let us know when they get home!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
It is a safe area, but what is safe. There are no gangs, but bad people don't always look bad. There are also coyotes and other critters. We have not seen a Mountain Lion, but after the fires a few years ago some people around here did. I tend to be over protective and he is an independent kid so I have to ease up, but what is being a bad mom. I wish I would have asked what diffection he was going. It is getting dark and they arn't home Grrrr.......

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I don't like the term OVER-protective; you're just being protective and concerned and a good mom!
Have you tried calling him again and asking him to head home?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They just called and the can see the house, but I can't see them. I would say they are about 15 minutes away.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I told them to start heading home the first time I called them.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Good I am glad they are coming home!! I just recently gave my 11 year old son a key to the house because he assured me he was old enough to have one! Ugh! 6th graders they know everything! He is the youngest of 3. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I remember when I was young we would spend all day outside and often talk to strangers, I am only 35 but nowadays I don't know what to think I think you would want your son to grow up to be independent, yet safe. If they had done it before without problems I would not worry if they are inexperienced I think an adult even nearby would be good. My 2 cents.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
It is pitch black out and I can see the light of the cell phone. It does not look like they are on the trail. I guess I will make some hiking rules.

They are home and hungry.....more to follow......

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Rules are good, like no hiking in the dark.

M

Maggie Cummings

There are dangers involved in hiking that have nothing to do with bad people...falls, animals etc...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Well they started home way before dark, but didn't realize how far they were and how quick it gets dark. They left around 2:30 and I didn't think they would go that far. My son is more of a bikes, scooter, and team sports kid. His friend is loves to hike and hunt. So anyway we will make some rules like you have to tell me what dirrection you are going and how long before you have to head home. My son said they went to Jullian, that is pretty far so I am not sure about that. They did end up at a camel farm I didn't know was back there. I guess I should go hiking with my son and have him show me where he was.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I would love to live in an area where I could go hiking! Stupid suburbs of Chicago :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Maggie~ that is what I was worried about, but when asked if it was a safe nieghborhood just replied to that part. It is as safe as any place can be but yeah they went up a mountain, saw two coyotes and could not see the ground on the way back. That could be dangerous, but part of me says I have to let him be a boy. The scooter is probably more dangerous. Ugh...having kids is scary. My 16 year old is at basketball practice and will be coming home on a winedy(sp?) road after dark in his own car. Time to open a bottle of wine.

M

Maggie Cummings

I raised 2 boys that are now great men in their 40's. I was a mean mother and had a lot of rules. But I let them go and be boys, but there were rules involved in that. I don't think you can be too protective in these days and times. I would never raise kids now...one of my biggest rules was, turn off that TV and go outside. You mostly can't do that now...

Status
Not open for further replies.