Should tortoise forum start providing separate guidelines of care between dry-started tortoises and well-started tortoises?

Posiewosie1

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset
Cheers can I also get you to double check the smaller tortoise too. It's 43g. Really appreciate the advice also!

Attachments

• received_625261382934368.jpeg
    received_625261382934368.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 2
  • received_239665468532516.jpeg
    received_239665468532516.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 2
  • received_731466385651668.jpeg
    received_731466385651668.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cheers can I also get you to double check the smaller tortoise too. It's 43g. Really appreciate the advice also!
This one looks pretty smooth. Get the mercury bulb out though ASAP to keep him smooth and to stop the other one. Also get them separated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What could cause the pyramiding so fast as I feel so disappointed saying this but it came completely smooth and I feel awful that it's pyramided within 3/4 weeks. I know the other is really smooth. If I took clear pictures could you possibly take a moment to tell me how severe it is!
Thank you.
The other one has less pyramiding because there has been less growth. This is likely due to the stress of living as a pair.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Even with damp substrate and moderate humidity, the wrong bulb, like a mercury vapor bulb, can overly dry out the carapace and cause pyramiding.

It also looks like you are using some sandy substrate based on the sand grains on the smaller tortoise. This is another common mistake.

Posiewosie1

Dorset
The other one has less pyramiding because there has been less growth. This is likely due to the stress of living as a pair.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Even with damp substrate and moderate humidity, the wrong bulb, like a mercury vapor bulb, can overly dry out the carapace and cause pyramiding.

It also looks like you are using some sandy substrate based on the sand grains on the smaller tortoise. This is another common mistake.
Thanks I will make all the changes and no sand at all as read your post about impactation, that may of been a bit of calcium dust of the food or from burrowing. @Tom @wellington thanks guys will separate them tomorrow after a new ones been built later today.