should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
There are cruelties that exist in this world, one being animal abuse (intentional or otherwise). Yes, many times this is encountered with inexperienced keepers, such as children, so the solution is to inhibit a child's exploration of the world? I am certain that many reptile enthusiast are passionate because they started at such a young age. I think it would be a wonderful way to decrease the number of advocates in the reptile community. IF the child is showing a mature/profound interest in the natural science and wishes to keep an animal, it is the PARENTS' responsibility to furnish a positive learning experience while keeping the animal safe. If the parent does not want to provide outside interest opportunities to the child because its more work, maybe the parent should have thought twice before receiving that child?( Generally speaking of course, this could be sports, art, music, etc.) I received my first tortoise when I was 8. My parents had no clue what they were doing which led to pyramiding and other issues, unfortunately I learned from trial and error. Today, they still do not know very much, but my tortoises spend most of their time outdoors with a stream and deep burrows. The only thing that went wrong in my story is my parents' lack of knowledge on the subject. They saw it as just another pet.

Also, I think it is false to claim we will out live our tortoises. We would LIKE to out live them, but many times they die before then. And their lifespan is no reason to not get a tortoise. Sure its a commitment, but as Tom said, if it doesn't work out, donate it to a zoo, or find someone who IS experienced. I do not see my tortoises as friends or companions, as they could care less if I'm there. Only reason they respond to my presence is they perceive me as some "being" that brings food.

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
my son is 8. He wanted a tortoise. we did a lot of research so this was not an impulse buy. Granted I did not find you guys until after I already had Tuxy :(. I would have saved a ton of money. But I also wanted a tortoise. I knew that my son would be good with him but he is a kid. I knew that I would be the one to set the schedules and do the majority of the care. Until my son is able to do it on his own. He has to help with everything and take an active roll. My friend has all types of animals and her kids take an active roll in the care. And even though they are young teens she still supervises things. I know every child is different. My kids are home schooled so they can spend more time caring for animals. when they go to collage I will take over the care.and trust me everyday I am learning new things to do. what things I was told was wrong. We will get it perfect :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
This has been a concern of mine since my son brought Odin home.
He and his girlfriend (he was 17, she 18) went to a reptile show and purchased him last summer. At the time they had been together for over a year and she is big into reptiles (we were already housing her geckos because her mother can't stand reptiles. Weird, I know.). They are quite serious and happy, and have plans to stay together for the long haul, but, you know, at that age? Who knows.
My history is dotted with random animals, and they both know it. Roughly a dozen cats in my lifetime, half of them rescues, (the most recent abandoned within days of birth and bottle fed by me for months. Also took in a feral cat) rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice, birds, fish, dogs, other geckos..probably forgetting something....anyway, pretty much anyone who knows me knows that I love beasties more than humans, so the kids knew I was going to go apeshit for Odin, which I did (obviously)
Many posts have said it is acceptable to get kids pets of this nature as long as the parents are willing to accept responsibility if they lose interest. In our case, it wasn't up to me, he is basically an adult, and his girlfriend is and adult. The only decision I have made was how involved I was going to get and whether or not he could live in my house (the answers were way too much, and hell yes! Never leave!) I am almost hoping he does lose interest, because I want him!
BUT, I am of the belief of "lifetime pets" and every pet I have taken in gets that consideration. I would rather make accommodations to my life to keep them here and happy, than rehome them, but, i'm in my 40's. Maybe I will have another 40-60 years, who knows? But that is likely not enough for Odin.
What if they do lose interest? I will of course obsessively care for him for as many years as I have left, but what then? Did they put the same thought into this purchase as I have for my animals? Will my other kids be willing to take him when I die? what about nieces and nephews? They all say yes now, but do they really know what it entails? Does anyone until they actually live it?

In the end, none of us really know the involvement needed until we do it, and none of us know how much time we have left until we don't have any, so all we can do is do the best we can. Plan what we can, and accept what we can't.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you get a young tortoise and look after it correctly then it will almost certainly outlive you, whether you are 6, 16 or 60. it is a commitment for life and teenagers have to be made aware of this. It's all very well saying the tortoise is ultimately the responsibility of the parent, but the parents will die long before the tortoise or teenagers in the normal run of things.
I am fifty this year and already beginning to wonder what will happen to Tidgy when I'm gone, at some point, not yet but rapidly coming I am going to have to plan for her future, I have no kids.
I think having pets is an important part of children's growing-process, their understanding of responsibility, life and death. Unfortunately, some animals suffer in this learning curve and death's occur, but this is also true of many adults who get an exotic pet without understanding what is involved, or later lose interest, get a busy job or whatever.
Watch and help the youngsters and their animals when you can, teach and encourage them if you are able, but I do think that teenagers can be excellent carers of animals, it depends on the people. When I was a child, my mother was forever buying new dogs, cats, birds as well as two tortoises and after she inevitably lost interest I, and my 2 brothers to a lesser extent ended up taking care of them. This is how I learned to love, respect and do the best for my animals but also animals at large and I ended up working in conservation because of this.
It's complicated, without a simple solution, kids, parents and animals are all different and some make excellent carers at any reasonable age and some will never be any good. Some animals, even within the same species meke good pets and some don't.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
No animal has ever come into this house as belonging solely to my children, except for gerbils one time. Every animal in this house has been either mine or a family pet, with me as the primary caretaker. The lives of animals is too important to be left solely up to children or teenagers, though they can certainly help. And as for the dogs - they are not pets. They are part of the family. When I hear people "getting rid of" the dog because the kid is not taking care of him/her, my blood boils. A dog is not a thing, a dog is a living and social animal. I have no problem if a tortoise needs to be rehomed provided it is rehomed to a knowledge tortoise keeper. Dogs are social animals that feel a connection to us. Totally different thing. So I guess I'm saying it depends on the animal.

skiperdee weenie

I think tortoises could be good pets for teens as long as they fully understand that the tortoise needs care and attention and it is their full responsibility I also think if a tortoise is being cared for correctly and is actually loved it doesn't matter who is is looking after it. if a young tortoise is brought a teen would grow with the tortoise and develop habits of taking care of it.

tortlover5m

uk
I'm 13 and I've own a tortoise for nearly a year. Before I got her I spent about 7 months doing research and she's doing really well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
These last few posts clearly show we have many responsible teenage tortoise owners as welcome members and contributors to Tortoise Forum.
Splendid chaps (and chapesses), all of them.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
Im 15 almost 16 and I got my tort for my 15th birthday. Before I got my tort I did lots of research on what to feed them and what type of tort and what substrate etc... My parent only help when I can't do it for myself like if I'm not home or I'm sick but the rest of the time I take care of it. Now when my 2 brothers wanted a lizzard my mom told them you have to do lots of research before you can get one. After they heard that they didn't want one any more because they didn't want that resposibility. I'm extra glad too that I found this website so now I can do a better job at taking care of my tort.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
This actually frustrated me quite a bit. I dont fall into the age bracket to which you are referring anymore, but being 20 years old I recently experienced keeping pets as a "teen."

When I was 16 i begged for enough years that my parents finally let me commit to a fish tank. I am not talking a goldfish tank or driving to a pet store and throwing a bunch of tiny fish in a crowded glass box and being done with it. I am talking Territorial fish that have some extreme needs and housing not to mention the water parameters that go along with them. I did research for about 8 months and saved up the money to finally buy my first 30gal tank which turned into several smaller tanks and then a 55gal and a 75gal which are still running to this day. If you think because I was 16 and couldnt "care for an animal" ask my parents how to safely add water to a fish tank and look at the blank expression on their faces. I know more about fish than probably 75% of people that keep them from any age group because I was passionate about them and still am today. One of the most frustrating things I deal with at this point in my life is people thinking that because they are older, the are more knowledgable than those "silly teenagers." I have single handly kept 3 larger tanks for 4 years now, and yes I was only a "teen," but did that change the outcome and quality of my animals life?

Now in the world of tortoises I did not get my first until I was almost 20 years old, so I am not so much help on the exact matter at hand, but I can tell you if I was 12-17 when I got my first tortoise, I would have cared for it with the same audacity that I care for them with now. I LOVE animals and I have since a very young age. Thats part of who I am. To say someone is unworthy of owning an animal in their teenage years is just plain wrong.

If the same quality of life is garaunteed from a 90 year old and a 12 year old, then where is the harm?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Stereotypes are frustrating for precisely this reason. Determining whether one is ready for a pet should depend on research and the individual as both you and Elnewman622 prove. Good luck to the two of you and your torts.

This actually frustrated me quite a bit. I dont fall into the age bracket to which you are referring anymore, but being 20 years old I recently experienced keeping pets as a "teen."

When I was 16 i begged for enough years that my parents finally let me commit to a fish tank. I am not talking a goldfish tank or driving to a pet store and throwing a bunch of tiny fish in a crowded glass box and being done with it. I am talking Territorial fish that have some extreme needs and housing not to mention the water parameters that go along with them. I did research for about 8 months and saved up the money to finally buy my first 30gal tank which turned into several smaller tanks and then a 55gal and a 75gal which are still running to this day. If you think because I was 16 and couldnt "care for an animal" ask my parents how to safely add water to a fish tank and look at the blank expression on their faces. I know more about fish than probably 75% of people that keep them from any age group because I was passionate about them and still am today. One of the most frustrating things I deal with at this point in my life is people thinking that because they are older, the are more knowledgable than those "silly teenagers." I have single handly kept 3 larger tanks for 4 years now, and yes I was only a "teen," but did that change the outcome and quality of my animals life?

Now in the world of tortoises I did not get my first until I was almost 20 years old, so I am not so much help on the exact matter at hand, but I can tell you if I was 12-17 when I got my first tortoise, I would have cared for it with the same audacity that I care for them with now. I LOVE animals and I have since a very young age. Thats part of who I am. To say someone is unworthy of owning an animal in their teenage years is just plain wrong.

If the same quality of life is garaunteed from a 90 year old and a 12 year old, then where is the harm?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Very well said, sir.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just to add my two cents, I don't believe it's a matter of age on whether someone should own or not own a tortoise, or for that matter, any animal. As some people posted, they've owned pets as a child/teenager and were responsible owners. They did research and understood their commitments. The reason the OP started this post, I think, is because a lot of young people get torts that generally outlive humans. When they find themselves in a dilemma like going to college and having to either give up the tort or leave it with a family member, it seems like the young person didn't think the situation through. BTW, young people aren't the only ones that don't think things through. Many older folks consistently do the same. What I think is that parents, who have the responsibility of helping their children make decisions such as owning and caring for an animal for years to come, really have to be ready and able to commit themselves to caring for that animal IF the child cannot for whatever reason. This is the part of commitment on the part of parents that some fail to see when they buy or allow their child to get a tortoise. Because situations change at various times in life, it can be easy NOT to have foresight on such matters. But, ultimately, it's the parents' responsibility and commitment when they allow their child to own a pet. When that child becomes an adult, then that responsibility switches to them. But, until then, parents should be mindful of their part when allowing their children to own or do anything. Then, perhaps, there won't be so many animals out there that are abandoned, abused, neglected, or euthanized.

This is something that has been bugging me for the past few years, seeing 12-17 year olds thinking about getting a tortoise or even a parrot (really any pet that can potentially out live them)
Tortoises are not like a dog or cat that lives max. 20 years, these little (or giant) guys can live longer then us! And in my eyes thats not a type of commitment a teen or a kid should be able to make... what happens when said 'kid' moves out on there own and cant take the tortoise or falls into money troubles (like most people do when they 1st go out on their own) and cant afford to buy food or new lighting or vet bills (exotic vets are more expensive then 'normal vets')
It seems really irresponsible in my eyes for a parent to allow someone underage to get a tortoise (unless of course the parent really wants one and is more then willing to take on the responsibility, but even then the parent should get the tortoise not the child)

ive seen too many kids these days on facebook groups, other forums etc. asking how to talk their parents into letting them get a tortoise.... then later coming back and saying they got it....
I waited 5 years before seriously considering getting one... I knew i didnt have the money or time, and with a toddler it just wasn't a smart choice. I figure something that lives so long deserves to have as much thought put into it as you would if you were deciding if your family was ready for a kid... its a life long commitment... and in that aspect its no different.

as a society we dont readily let our kids, or teens, make choices that will effect their whole future... most of these choices are made after high school at the age of 18. so why are these parents allowing their kids to make a life long commitment to something living and breathing so easily?

thoughts?
am i the only one this bugs?

If a parent is getting a tort for a child or preteen, then they have to make the commitment themselves as well. However, I think if an older teen has had a persistent interest in caring for one for years and has willingly done their own extensive research, I think it's fine. They just have to buy the tort and right equipment themselves, be able to make their own money to provide for the tort, and have plans for the tort.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I don't nessisarly have a bad opinion on teenagers getting tortoises but do have an opinion on young children getting a tortoise. This is mainly because kids don't understand that torts don't want to be lifted and cuddled and poked and prodded at. They like to hide away and don't do much more than eat and poop. despite having their moments of bum shaking and getting really active when it's warm outside the excitement would easily wear off in a young child - although I do appreciate there are exceptions.
Teenagers on the other hand always remember their childhood pet and miss them terribly when something bad happens and with a tortoise that isn't always the case and they can grow old together. I was 21 when I got beastie 3 years ago and I have no intention what so ever in getting rid of him and like most people on this forum I take my tort in to consideration for anything that would impact him.