should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

lillyanna

Im still a newbie to this site but i think the kid should know what they are getting into. The parents have the ultimate authority but if their young the parent should know that they will need help. Like people have said it is upnto both parties. I have had animals since i was like 6 and i started off with a cat. Now i have 4 dogs a guinea pig 2 fish tanks and my sulcata. I havent been the best owner to my tortoise but ive been trying to become better. Im 20 and working full time while going to college full time (bout to graduate yay ^_^ ). That is extremely hard and time consuming to also take care of all these animals takes me about my 2 hr break between classes and work but ive managed for 3 years now and i wouldnt trade it(maybe for sleep jk ) for anything but i want more animals. There are some irresponsible people but not evrryone is the same. I get angry when i see people say i want a dog then take it back because its too much work. I see ur point but its up to both they should both know. I love animals any kind and i hope that people know what they get into. It breaks my heart when i see people taking beautiful animals to the pound because they dont want them anymore i wish i could take them all home but i would not be able to afford it and that is why i have not gotten anymore animals. Im weird though id rather stay home and mess with animals than go out and mingle though just my little vent sorry

Magdalena41494

Some very good points are being brought up :)

I believe it depends on the person. Ive had pets since I can remember. My parents never ended up caring for them. My two siblings(12 and 18) on the other hand, are not allowed to have pets because they each have had a turn and both times I ended up taking the responsibility.

I do A LOT of research. In fact I have a binder for every species I have as a quick reference. I now even have me own little apartment where I can convert entire rooms into a cage lol (I do a lot of rescues and fosters). Im only 19, I work to support my hobby and afford college (which I will begin this fall). I planned to go to college here because I dont want to move away from my zoo lol

I still have some of my first pets, I have the 4 leopard geckos I got at age 11, the tarantula I got at 13, and a parakeet I got when I was 14. Ive had a lot more, but all have passed of natural causes (hamsters, rats, rabbits, ect). Ive added a lot to my collection recently as well.

So, to conclude! It really depends on the person and how much effort they are willing to put into something and how big their heart is :D

Briony Wright

I'm a 17 year old and I have bought my tortoises myself. It's a way for me to learn responsibility and they are used in a similar way to therapy dogs, and they have been very successful! I am completely responsible for them and they seem perfectly happy. They are bathed almost every day and have regular soaks, I regularly clean them out using tortoise friendly disinfectant and they get fed before anyone else in my house.

I think maybe younger teens may need help with looking after tortoises as they could be too much responsibility, however at my age I think, if you know what you're doing/have experience with looking after torts, then it's a good thing!

yillt

Yes kids should be aloud. If they aren't coping they should share the pet with their older siblings but tortoises don't need to be taken for long walks and all the food is reasonably cheap. Most of its free. I look after my tortoise by myself and I have had her since I was 9. She is healthy and is turning out to be a beautiful little marginated tort. Also If you start as a kid then by the time your an adult you will be able to look after your tortoises so much better than other adults who have just bought baby torts. Also as tortoises live a long time kids will be able to keep their torts for as long as possible where's adults will have to hand the tortoises down to less experienced tortoise carers.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
I won't lie, my first tortoise purchase was a impulsive buy(and expensive one) But I have taken great care of my pets. I was 19 of my first purchase, but I might be an unusual teen where I take excellent care of my pets(probably because I am an introvert and don't like humans all that much) I do believe young children should not have a pet that requires them to take care of them, dogs and cats are different since the family takes care of them, but fish and torts are pets you cannot cuddle, so kids will lose great interest in them, same with teens, "ooohhh cool such and such has one of these things, let me get one!" Few months later the tort is forgotten or neglected and might suffer by poor husbandry. Instead give them a chia pet or a rock with googly eyes or something, or if they want a pet make them do a huge amount of research and maybe even present a slide show or something, if a kid is willing to do all that, they might be very serious about owning one, and will know how to take proper care of the animal.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
I won't lie, my first tortoise purchase was a impulsive buy(and expensive one) But I have taken great care of my pets. I was 19 of my first purchase, but I might be an unusual teen where I take excellent care of my pets(probably because I am an introvert and don't like humans all that much) I do believe young children should not have a pet that requires them to take care of them, dogs and cats are different since the family takes care of them, but fish and torts are pets you cannot cuddle, so kids will lose great interest in them, same with teens, "ooohhh cool such and such has one of these things, let me get one!" Few months later the tort is forgotten or neglected and might suffer by poor husbandry. Instead give them a chia pet or a rock with googly eyes or something, or if they want a pet make them do a huge amount of research and maybe even present a slide show or something, if a kid is willing to do all that, they might be very serious about owning one, and will know how to take proper care of the animal.

I am 13, I got my first reptile at 7, I still have her. She is a 7 year old bearded dragon, not only did I not loose interest but I ended up getting more reptiles.I have 2 leopard geckos , a bearded dragon and a sulcata. Which all have great care all paid for by me. I spend almost all my money on them. I think saying "same with teens " should not be referring to all teens because many are more responsible than you think.

dimitri

5 Year Member
I am still in high school and I got a tortoise this year. This was not a spur of the moment idea- I have been researching and planning to get a tortoise for four years. I know that he is completely my responsibility and I have never expected my parents to ever take care of him for me.
I know that I am just as responsible as any adult when it comes to taking care of my tortoise. I pay for everything he needs with my own money and I bought him myself after years of careful consideration. I'm not entirely sure what I will do when I go to college yet, but that is still years away and I know that I'm not going to lay him on my parents or anyone else. I also know that if I can't find a good option for him I will wait until I can, because he is my top priority. If he ever has to go to the vet for any reason at all, I have enough money to take hi and wouldn't hesitate. My life revolves around my tortoise and I spend a great deal of time every day thinking about him. I know that not all teens can take on this responsibility, but I don't think that my tortoise has been compromised by my being young in any way. I agree that most teens/kids shouldn't have a tortoise, especially if they don't know that they will always want one, but if someone is as serious as I am then it's a completely different thing. I think that it isn't age that matters as much as how serious and experienced you are.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hard to say to be honest, got my first red ear at 8 had her for 29 years before she died, still have turts and tortoises 31 years later. I would say get them one if they wish, as long as the parent is willing to step in, in interest wanes.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I guess when I got Franklin I fell just out of the kid range since I was 18 1/2, still living at home and my parents kind of just never said no so to me that meant go ahead... they were unhappy about that. But I mean it really depends on the kid. All high school I kept fish because I liked the responsibility of having a pet... turns out im kinda horrible at fish though (another story and i'm working on that). But if the kid is someone who knows exactly what they're asking for and the commitment they're taking I think its actually a good idea. Of course teens who see a friend with a cool pet and wanting one, is not really a great idea, I feel its almost like a fad, and will get old fast. Most of the time the parent has to know they will probably have points they will be the sole care-taker (young aged kids, college, just getting into a pet-ok place, ect.). My parents don't really like the fact that I got Franklin but have come to like him and his character. I knew when I made the commitment it was a long one, its actually why I got him while younger, so theres a chance we'll grow old around the same time. No matter what I chose to care for him and will do that my whole life. I knew I'd have to find pet friendly places to live when that time comes, I know I'll have more expensive vet bills and constantly need to buy lights, substrate and foods. I guess in a way i'm more mature than people my age, and live at home during college so I'm always there for him. And in regards for thinking of the whole giving up later, I'm not worried i'll lose interest, when he looks at me theres just a bond, yes I know that bond is only in my mind and he's incapable of caring much more than "hey you give me food you're ok", but I have plans for if I ever run into a situation where I can't care for him, if I'm away from home and my parents can't help out I would search to the community here to help, its the poor little guys that end up on craigslist or even worse back at a petstore that are just sad. But children who are raised around or even with their reptiles (as my future children will be with Frank) they'll learn the right care and I think that's actually the best age to learn not only the commitment but the techniques and requirements.

Theres goods and bads with younger long life span pet owners. but I agree with almost everyone else that its in the parents largely. And also with how long they've wanted a pet, because if someone just up and decides one day they want so-and-so pet and gets it the next day its usually not good. (although I got Franklin after 2 months of wanting him... but 2 months crammed with research! and I am one of the types of people who doesn't take decisions lightly)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i've had this discussion with my sister about any animal, it seem's at some point or another any small animal she gets my niece or nephew winds up with Uncle David sooner or later, i do think it depends on the child as every child is different but if the child does want a pet maybe prove they're responsible and really want it if they want it bad enough they should be willing to do the research and prove they know the research and maybe chores around the house and such to help pay for that animal, but ultimately if the parent doesn't want the animal don't allow the child to get it as it's going to fall in your hands sooner or later

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
@Tom that was very well said I got my first tortoise a year ago for my eleventh birthday and as I've had him my interest has only increased thank you far saying that

David

mitchellr

5 Year Member
I got my first one when i was a kid. I think that kids under the age of 13 shouldnt keep tortoises. Turtles are easier to keep but not so with tortoises. Also one thing to consider is each child's mentality. Some young child appreciate and respect animals yet some just treat animals as toys. It just break my heart to see animals (not only bound to turtles and tortoises) are being bought just because the children want them, soon the animals arent getting the care and housing they actually require.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I got my first one when i was a kid. I think that kids under the age of 13 shouldnt keep tortoises. Turtles are easier to keep but not so with tortoises. Also one thing to consider is each child's mentality. Some young child appreciate and respect animals yet some just treat animals as toys. It just break my heart to see animals (not only bound to turtles and tortoises) are being bought just because the children want them, soon the animals arent getting the care and housing they actually require.
Try telling that to @yillt!

Serously, though parents cannot abdicate sole responsibility for a pet to a child unless and until they are confident that the child is capable of looking after it properly. Age is not the sole determinant of this capability. Even then parents are necessarily involved in the pet's care if only because they are likely to be footing the bill for feed and equipment.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Try telling that to @yillt!

Serously, though parents cannot abdicate sole responsibility for a pet to a child unless and until they are confident that the child is capable of looking after it properly. Age is not the sole determinant of this capability. Even then parents are necessarily involved in the pet's care if only because they are likely to be footing the bill for feed and equipment.

Also that kids love to cuddle and play around with their pets, which in my personal opinion tortoises arent suitable for that.

yillt

Hi. I respect your views on this but I am only 11 and my marginated Billy is the most loved and cared for tortoise. He is perfectly healthy and I pay for his bedding ETC. I made his cage(with help from my uncle) and as all my Christmas presents I get stuff for Billy. I have always love animals but tortoises I adore. I do agree some children only want pets to show off and they like them for cuteness then they give up on them. But Billy will never be disliked by me and he is as important as one of my own children(all though I don't have any but I am sure he would still be as important then. )You said that kids like to cuddle and play around with their pets and Billy does get picked up and loved but not in the way you are talking about. He loves attention anyway. people will probably say I shouldn't have him but I will always keep him and NO ONE can change my mind about that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're the exception to the rule, Bella. You obviously are a dedicated tortoise-keeper.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Hi. I respect your views on this but I am only 11 and my marginated Billy is the most loved and cared for tortoise. He is perfectly healthy and I pay for his bedding ETC. I made his cage(with help from my uncle) and as all my Christmas presents I get stuff for Billy. I have always love animals but tortoises I adore. I do agree some children only want pets to show off and they like them for cuteness then they give up on them. But Billy will never be disliked by me and he is as important as one of my own children(all though I don't have any but I am sure he would still be as important then. )You said that kids like to cuddle and play around with their pets and Billy does get picked up and loved but not in the way you are talking about. He loves attention anyway. people will probably say I shouldn't have him but I will always keep him and NO ONE can change my mind about that.
Sure. Thats why i said we should look at the child's mentality. Im happy that Billy has such a dedicated owner like you :)

turtledan77

I think that pets are a great educational experience for children. Mine LOVE watching the turtles coming in and out of my house. Parents just need to realize that they are getting the pet for themselves, not their children, and expect to care for the turtles years after the kids are gone.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I've seen a parent repeatedly let a child get an animal she looses interest in and refuse to help care for the animals. "Not my problem!" This really saddens me because I sneak the animals treats, water them when I see them out or low, and buy them toys. I spend more money on those animals than the owners do, including vet bills. It's really frustrating to see the parent make excuses for their child's poor sense of responsibility. And then blame the dogs for having fleas when DUH you don't buy them flea medicine that works -_-

On the other hand I was one of those children, My parents had to constantly HARP on me to get me to feed my dogs etc. Now I have really forced myself to get up, put on my big girl panties and improve my animal's lives. I will NOT go to work without giving my dog her thyroid pill, feeding the dogs and making sure my torts have been fed watered and their enclosures worked on so they can move outside safely for the summer. I used to harbor a pet in my room and forget about them. Now they live with the family instead of hidden in a dark room. I really hope this thirteen year old girl grows up to turn into a responsible pet owner, paying for vet bills and such, though time will tell and until then I will continue to encourage her mom to not get her any more pets. Her mom and I BOTH acknowledge she's **** poor at caring for her animals after the puppy love phase wears off. So I understand why not to deny a child an animals because they MIGHT get interest, but if you know for sure that child will slack on care, why go through the constant phase of buying and rehoming all of these animals?