should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

ashleet88

Location (City and/or State)
Warrensburg, Missouri
I got my first slider at 14. He was a baby (about the size of a toddlers fist ). We have had him for seven years now and I love him to death. I may have been young but I knew the price of the animal and what I needed to take care of it. He lives with my younger sister so she can understand how to take care of her own. I have two of my own now.

Having them young helps with responsibility and understanding of the animal. It may out live us but we got the most time with them as an owner.

If people know it will out live us then what's the point of buying it. I am glad I got my turtles young. I get to watch them grow to be the biggest they can be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
So I got my first tortoises with 7 now I'm 16 and I've 30 turtles/tortoises.
I started with turtles because my parent didn't allow me to get a dog or a cat. Now I'm happy that they didn't allow me to get them :-D.
In the first 3 years I needed some help from my parent but now and in the last six years I did everything alone. It's much work for me together with the school but its ok.
So I think parents have to think about their children's when they want a pet. They have to decide individual if their children's are adult enough to get a pet like a turtle.

Hjulmgunnar

Montana
I would think no. A kid or teen is going to be interested initially, but what about when they go off to college, or simply loose interest -- the care of a tortoise is not going to be on the top list of priorities, not that there are not kids who could be devoted and very much in love with their torts. I guess it depends on your judgement of the kid and the potential situation. Ask yourself this --do you personally want a tort? If you don't then I wouldn't allow it.

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I think as long as the parent is willing to take on the responsibility of that animal should the kid not be able to for whatever reason, temporary or otherwise. It really gets on my nerves when parents let a kid have an animal and then completely leave the care to the child and if the child doesn't care for it properly they let the animal die to "teach a lesson" usually this is with goldfish or hermit crabs "disposable animals." Personally I think permits should be required to own all animals and you must prove you have the knowledge to care for that animal. That way impulse purchases are less likely. Perhaps I am biased because I volunteer for a rescue. Reptile owners do tend to start young. When I have children someday Minster will go into my will. If my children want reptiles they need to show responsibility by helping me care for mine first. In all, I think it depends on the parent. Many of them are irresponsible. My hope is that the child has proven they can handle the task, the parents can take on the tort in case something goes wrong, and the decision is not taken lightly. I see where you are coming from completely.

Yvonne G said:
Speaking as a mother who has done lots of hounding in her life time...its all well and good to say, yes, go ahead and get the animal, but it will be your responsibility to take care of it.

Then one day you go into the kid's bedroom to get the dirty clothes on laundry day and you see the poor bird sitting in a darkened room with no water or fresh food, dirty paper on the floor of the cage and a very unhappy-looking bird.

So when the kid gets home from school you remind him that the bird's life depends upon the care he gives it (or doesn't give it), and the bird needs attention. Checking later you see the bird in the same condition. "I will, I will, mom." How does one "make" a kid who is bigger than you are do something that he keeps putting off doing? How can one live with ones self if you allow the poor bird to exist in those conditions? Do you let the bird die just to teach a lesson to the kid?

I would say no. Teaching a lesson by letting an animal die is wrong. That animal is suffering and helpless. I would give a warning and say if this animal is not cared for by the end of today, you will find a new owner.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would have to agree with Tom and Neal on this, sometimes people just change their mind after years of having a certain species. As far as getting a kid a tortoise, I think we should do anything to get them away from endless hours playing video games, cell phones, and online crap. Most kids just dont get outside anymore like they use to and are just getting fat and lazy. I have had my breeding group of redfoots for years and I have been tossing around the idea of selling them. Sometimes you just want to go in a different direction and I find myself wanting to get into rare and high end tortoises. Getting a kid a tortoise could change the path of a kids life. I grew up with CDT in my backyard and still have tortoises today, 47 years later

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Tom said:
Yvonne G said:
Speaking as a mother who has done lots of hounding in her life time...its all well and good to say, yes, go ahead and get the animal, but it will be your responsibility to take care of it.

Then one day you go into the kid's bedroom to get the dirty clothes on laundry day and you see the poor bird sitting in a darkened room with no water or fresh food, dirty paper on the floor of the cage and a very unhappy-looking bird.

So when the kid gets home from school you remind him that the bird's life depends upon the care he gives it (or doesn't give it), and the bird needs attention. Checking later you see the bird in the same condition. "I will, I will, mom." How does one "make" a kid who is bigger than you are do something that he keeps putting off doing? How can one live with ones self if you allow the poor bird to exist in those conditions? Do you let the bird die just to teach a lesson to the kid?

Simple. You make the kid do it, or you give the animal to someone who will do it. In the time it takes to find a suitable new home, the parent must take responsibility for the child's failure, and ensure that the animal is properly cared for. I would hope there would be consequences for the child who fails to live up to his/her responsibility.

Seriously, why is this even a question? I'm not going to ask my child to do the right thing after I have seen repeated failure to do so. I'm going to tell her to do it, and make her do it. Her size has nothing to do with anything. If a child of any age or size chooses to defy or threaten their parents and neglect their pets, there should be serious consequences. How and what totally depends on the situation.

My sister often tells me, 'I can't make him do "*******" because he just doesn't do it. I then go up and see my nephew, who is 16 playing xbox while what he was told to do is not done. My gut reaction was to put a foot through his tv (that I paid for) or his xbox (that my Mother paid for) and then it hit me. He loves playing football. He is a lettered sophmore on the varsity team. So, I told him he was going to go to his coach and confess what he did and ask the coach to give him a punishment that would fit the crime (he went to a formal and never came home that night) and also help him in his football career. Without a note from the coach with his confession and his punishment schedule, I was going to take his TV (that I paid for) home with me and he would not get it back. If I still did not get a note then a meeting with his coach would be scheduled and he would be pulled from the team and made to return his letter jacket. I got the note that day and he was kept after class on the track and the weight room until he finished his "punishment". In the case of the tortoise scenario, I would do something very similar. The tortoise would go to a better home free of charge and my nephew would lose his gameing privilages until I was paid back 100% for the cost of the animal and it's care to that point. I believe a punative measure should be a teachable moment and since I would never let the animal suffer, I would instead make the kid suffer and take full financial responsibility for the choice we made to get the animal. He would also have a contract at the time of purchase stating what was his responsibility and I would have one stating what mine would be and what would happen if one or both of us did not fullfill our end of the bargain. Sorry so long, lol.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
bigred said:
Getting a kid a tortoise could change the path of a kids life.
I think this can be very true. My parents were afraid to let me have a tortoise last year, not knowing how devoted I'd be. But once I got my first tortoise, I constantly talked about tortoises, and made my parents regret letting me care for one because I became obsessed.
I really think that if I never got into tortoises, I would have never known how good I am with plants and greenhouse production. And now my tortoises have inspired me to possibly own my own greenhouse business in the future.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
hunterk997 said:
bigred said:
Getting a kid a tortoise could change the path of a kids life.
I think this can be very true. My parents were afraid to let me have a tortoise last year, not knowing how devoted I'd be. But once I got my first tortoise, I constantly talked about tortoises, and made my parents regret letting me care for one because I became obsessed.
I really think that if I never got into tortoises, I would have never known how good I am with plants and greenhouse production. And now my tortoises have inspired me to possibly own my own greenhouse business in the future.

Very Cool

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I agree with a lot of others. If a parent allows their kid to get a pet, its care is ultimately the responsibility of the parent's.

I allowed my daughter to get a fish tank.... 3 years later, I now have fish. But, when I saw her neglecting to take proper care of them, I also took the tank out of her room. With privilege comes responsibility. I told her if she didn't take responsibility, she'd lose privilege, and so she did.

Unfortunately, just because you're a parent doesn't mean you'll be a good pet owner. There's a clip on YouTube of a 5 or 6 year old dancing with the family tortoise. The poor thing is flailing away as the girl is holding it upright and swinging it to the beat. It's a sizeable tort (had to be at least 10 inches long), and the mom is filming and laughing and thinking it's adorable. It made me furious to be honest. I'd never let my kids do that to Wilson! (My daughter- who is 13- told me the other day 'you know, I don't think I've even touched that tortoise since you got it...' She's not a big pet person. My son, who is 8, knows he can show his friends Wilson in his enclosure, but he's not a plaything and he can't take him out when they're over unless I say okay... and he's never asked. He will watch him outside with me and picked him up a few times right after we got him, but once his shell got icky - due to shell rot he had when we took him in- he told me ' I really like Wilson, but he kind of grosses me out now!' 6 months later and shell healing, he's finding him less gross again.)

I just feel like if you AND your children can't respect and properly care for the life of a pet, don't get it. I'm normally such an easy going person and pretty laid back, but I have zero tolerance for people who don't take pet care seriously.

Skymall007

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Yvonne G said:

Simple. You make the kid do it, or you give the animal to someone who will do it. In the time it takes to find a suitable new home, the parent must take responsibility for the child's failure, and ensure that the animal is properly cared for. I would hope there would be consequences for the child who fails to live up to his/her responsibility.

Seriously, why is this even a question? I'm not going to ask my child to do the right thing after I have seen repeated failure to do so. I'm going to tell her to do it, and make her do it. Her size has nothing to do with anything. If a child of any age or size chooses to defy or threaten their parents and neglect their pets, there should be serious consequences. How and what totally depends on the situation.

I agree completely. Someday when I have children that is how they will be raised. There would be serious consequences for not obeying especially when an animal is involved. While under my roof, my rules. They don't like it then they can leave.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
I am 13 years old, I may get hate for this but I am...I am very responsible, I have had many reptiles which I take 100% care of. In fact my Dad doesn't even like them. I have had a bearded dragon for 7 years, two leopard geckos for over 3 years, and a sulcata for 2 years...I pay for all the food,cages,care,vet bills. I babysit and mow lawns to Pay for the expenses. I have had my reptiles shipped over the country, I have paid hundreds in vet bills ( including my tortoise being attacked by a dog) I will say I know many who are not responsible enough for any pet but there are many exceptions including myself. I have volunteered at animal hospitals, had experience in reptile shops and have many reptiles with perfect care and health. I spend almost all my money on them and people saying that all teens are not responsible are wrong... Well that is my say in this.

Attachments

• 1395273903982.jpg
    1395273903982.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1395273963900.jpg
    1395273963900.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 1395273995040.jpg
    1395273995040.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 1395274027445.jpg
    1395274027445.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 1395274145953.jpg
    1395274145953.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 1395274163924.jpg
    1395274163924.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 69

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

Brandonfij01 said:
I am 13 years old, I may get hate for this but I am...I am very responsible, I have had many reptiles which I take 100% care of. In fact my Dad doesn't even like them. I have had a bearded dragon for 7 years, two leopard geckos for over 3 years, and a sulcata for 2 years...I pay for all the food,cages,care,vet bills. I babysit and mow lawns to Pay for the expenses. I have had my reptiles shipped over the country, I have paid hundreds in vet bills ( including my tortoise being attacked by a dog) I will say I know many who are not responsible enough for any pet but there are many exceptions including myself. I have volunteered at animal hospitals, had experience in reptile shops and have many reptiles with perfect care and health. I spend almost all my money on them and people saying that all teens are not responsible are wrong... Well that is my say in this.

This is what I'm saying!
You can get kids who skip school to go hang out in an alley, and then you get ones that are as (if not more) responsible as adults!
It's ridiculous that people say teenagers can't do /: poop:/ to save their lives, when in reality there's a majority that are perfectly capable.

Also, Brandon, I really admire your ability and persistence to maintain the costs of having animals. This is a task I failed at for a long time. :p I'm almost 10 years older than you, and I still occasionally skrew up animal- related payments. My parents didn't supposed my enthusiasm for reptiles either. Guess what- i still had 13 snakes and 9 RES. Hahaha. I live in my own house now, and have my own rules "under my roof". :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brandon, My initial responses on this thread were written from my current perspective as a grown adult and father. Reading YOUR post took me back to another time in my life. I was similar to you. Did all my own stuff. No support or interest from my parents. When I was 13 I was teaching adults how to keep their fish alive. When I was 14 I started getting paid to do it. I was teaching adult customers of the pet shop where I worked how to tame and handle their parrots, reptiles and how to set up and maintain their fish tanks. I would finish a long informative speech in response to their question and they would look at me and go, "How old are you?"

Not every 13 year old is the same. They shouldn't be judged or treated the same. I know 13 year olds that are more responsible than their parents. Its really not that uncommon when you think about how many people really don't have their "stuff" together.

So Brandon, You keep on truckin' man. Good for you. You won't be receiving any hate here on this forum.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
Re: RE: should parents allow kids and teens to get tortoises?

Tom said:
Brandon, My initial responses on this thread were written from my current perspective as a grown adult and father. Reading YOUR post took me back to another time in my life. I was similar to you. Did all my own stuff. No support or interest from my parents. When I was 13 I was teaching adults how to keep their fish alive. When I was 14 I started getting paid to do it. I was teaching adult customers of the pet shop where I worked how to tame and handle their parrots, reptiles and how to set up and maintain their fish tanks. I would finish a long informative speech in response to their question and they would look at me and go, "How old are you?"

Not every 13 year old is the same. They shouldn't be judged or treated the same. I know 13 year olds that are more responsible than their parents. Its really not that uncommon when you think about how many people really don't have their "stuff" together.

So Brandon, You keep on truckin' man. Good for you. You won't be receiving any hate here on this forum.

Thanks for the support... I already have plans for my future to be involved with reptiles because it is my passion.

tffnytorts said:
Brandonfij01 said:

This is what I'm saying!
You can get kids who skip school to go hang out in an alley, and then you get ones that are as (if not more) responsible as adults!
It's ridiculous that people say teenagers can't do /: poop:/ to save their lives, when in reality there's a majority that are perfectly capable.

Also, Brandon, I really admire your ability and persistence to maintain the costs of having animals. This is a task I failed at for a long time. :p I'm almost 10 years older than you, and I still occasionally skrew up animal- related payments. My parents didn't supposed my enthusiasm for reptiles either. Guess what- i still had 13 snakes and 9 RES. Hahaha. I live in my own house now, and have my own rules "under my roof". :D

Thank you for the support, like I said to Tom, I have plans to work with reptiles as a occupation because it is my passion.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
My advice is to not focus completely on only reptiles. It's easier to focus on a whole area (such as all animals, ie zoology, vets, etc) and specialize in reptiles. Its VERY hard to find work (more or less one that pays well) thats only about reptiles.

HJ1983

New York City
I haven't read the entire thread so I may be off topic here but purchasing a pet is an individual decision between a parent(s) and their child. Every parent is different and so is every child so generalizing this statement to be so broad shows that people pass judgment on one another without knowing the specifics. Some children are more responsible than others. Hell, some parents are even less responsible than their children! This is just a topic to ruffle feathers.

Reading posts on this forum and seeing how many people receive rescued tortoises show even adults aren't responsible enough for a pet that can outlive them. So I'm not completely sure what the argument is.

Skymall007

5 Year Member
Brandonfij01 said:

I think everything you wrote is fantastic! You are a great and responsible pet owner. If more adults were like you then it would be great. I am also into reptiles and want to study Herpetology someday. I hope to see you in the field! Maybe we will meet up someday at a conference!

tortgirl123

Let me just chime in here, I'm 13 almost 14 years old and I'm not trying to toot my own horn here but I am very responsible and my parents know it, that's why they let me get a tortoise. To prove to you that young teens can be responsible; I've had a job before, working with autistic children, 40 hours a week, ALL summer, Every summer since 5th grade. Now I do get your point that there a VERY many immature teenagers, that I wouldn't even trust them with my own life let alone an animal. What I don't understand is the point you made about tortoises out living us. Let's say your 35 year old who has a full time job, married, with kids. How do you not have any less time then teens do? Also you would most definitely not out live your tortoises. I TOTALLY get it when you talk about the immature teenagers, and the children having pets that live a large amount of time. I also think that parents should expect to have to look after the pet a couple times. For example, my parents are divorced ( like almost everyone nowadays ) and sometimes I go over to my dads on the weekends, I have to have my mom look after my little tort. But she knew before I even got the tortoise that she would have to do that. I think it all depends on the person and how responsible they are.

hdeaver1

We have a two year old girl and a four year old girl and they helped us pick out Tortellini. We, my husband and I, had been discussing for quite some time of getting a tortoise before we purchased one. As a family we went to several pet stores until I saw the leopard tortoise. I couldn't take my eyes off of him! However, this is a FAMILY pet. I let them help me feed him, or watch him when we set him outside for exercise (with me). My children are allowed to take active parts in his care, but not without my supervision, or help as appropriate for their age. Hopefully, as they both get older caring for our tortoise will be natural and they will be loyal to him for the rest of his years. I am teaching my kids patience with it, as well as responsibility. I think the important thing about letting children, or even teenagers have a pet is that the whole family should take interest in it's care to ensure the tortoise is healthy. At least until the parents have educated and taught their teenager to do it well enough on his own and can trust that he/she will.