Should I wake my tortoise up?

SnibblesNibbles

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh
Hi there,

My tortoise seems to only get up and about if I get him up myself and even after maybe 10-15 minutes of him being up and about he just goes back to sleep in any corner he feels like.
Is there something wrong? Once he is awake he will go around normally and eat some food if it's out but then straight back to sleep. He is a russian horsefield tortoise.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. I have a Russian also. How long have you had him? What is his enclosure like? The more experienced members here can make a better educated guess if you share that info. Just in case there is a problem. But really tortoises do that even when they are happy and healthy. They only move when they feel like it.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My russians are estivating right now because it's been so hot. In my opinion, as long as he acts normal when you get him up, don't worry about him.

SnibblesNibbles

Edinburgh
Hello and welcome. I have a Russian also. How long have you had him? What is his enclosure like? The more experienced members here can make a better educated guess if you share that info. Just in case there is a problem. But really tortoises do that even when they are happy and healthy. They only move when they feel like it.?
Sorry I didn't get any notifications about replies so taken a while to notice them!

I've had him about 7 months now and he only just started acting like this a month ago. pictures of his enclosure are attached. It's a double decker setup with his cousin Dusty on the top one, photo also attached. (excuse my messy room) Both lights are on a timer of 9.30am till 11.00pm and Dusty gets up on her own everyday just fine.

Again any advice or help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 17

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the temps? Basking and all over?
The water dish needs to be replaced with a clay saucer that is big enough for him to get into. That goes for both torts. The substrate doesnt look very deep, hard to tell in the pics though. How deep is it?
More coverage like plants would help. Also how big are the enclosures? They need a minimum of a 4x8 foot for one adult.
Can you give them each an outdoor enclosure for the warm months? You will get a lot more enjoyment out of them if they can be outside
When my Russian is inside he acts a lot like yours. Outside during the summer, he is on the move all the time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sorry I didn't get any notifications about replies so taken a while to notice them!

I've had him about 7 months now and he only just started acting like this a month ago. pictures of his enclosure are attached. It's a double decker setup with his cousin Dusty on the top one, photo also attached. (excuse my messy room) Both lights are on a timer of 9.30am till 11.00pm and Dusty gets up on her own everyday just fine.

Again any advice or help is appreciated.
That's ok it's hard to learn how to navigate on here. At least it was for me because I really don't know how to do online stuff. Really though, I have a Russian also. I don't hibernate him. So even though he may try to sleep a couple of days, I do wake him up now and then. I keep him at regular temps all year long. He can feel the difference in the weather though. He also has an outside enclosure spring, summer, and fall for the daytime. So I really can't advise you about lamps. I just keep the room the same and if he tries to sleep too long, I wake him up. Then put him beside his food tile. Read the care sheets on temperate species. Im sorry I don't know how to share those with a link. Best hopes and prayers. Several people have answered and Yavonne G is such an amazing expert. Follow their advice they will help you.