Should I take my tort to the vet?

AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
You're going to get different opinions on this, so it should be an interesting thread.

For me, the circumstances dictate the answer. I took my desert tortoise to an exotics vet for a wellness check, and was charged $340 !!! That's robbery! But it was good to hear that there weren't any stones growing in him or a parasite overload.

I now have a 2 year old Burmese star tortoise, and have no intention of taking him to a vet unless he gets sick. But I know he had good care before coming to me.

So I would say if you haven't had your tort very long, if you don't know what kind of care he got prior to you, if he's prone to bladder stones, is old, has probably never been to a vet...I think it's a good thing to do. But do go to an exotics vet, and be prepared for an exhorbitant cost.
Do you still have your Desert Tort KarenSoCal?

AZGirl

Arizona
First of all, part of being a responsible pet parent, is providing adequate care for your tort. No matter how much we know, there are always unusual events. For example, I had my little Russian, Derrick, for 7 years. I always got positive feedback on Der's care. He had a physical and worm check every year! He went to the vet as needed for beak and nail clipping. He saw the vet up to 3-4 times a year because when I went out of town I boarded him at the vet. But, he died 2 weeks ago, two months after a perfect physical. He had no symptoms of any stress. You owe it to your pet to give him/her the best care possible. If you had a baby you would not even question taking it to the pediatrician. Your tort deserves the same.
So sorry for your loss of Derrick. ?

AZGirl

Arizona
No I don't. I am very sad. I was always checking his eyes, his nose. You know the usual tort parent things. You know, I've had many pet mice and rats. Only once did one die suddenly. I always had time to see the end coming, but not this. I don't think anyone knows what happened. When I found him, I tried to call my vet. But they had stopped doing tort care. I'd like to get another tortie, but am 64 years old. So am I ethically to old?
Well, I inherited mine abt 2 or so hrs ago and I’m 61. where do you live?

Skip K

Virginia
No I don't. I am very sad. I was always checking his eyes, his nose. You know the usual tort parent things. You know, I've had many pet mice and rats. Only once did one die suddenly. I always had time to see the end coming, but not this. I don't think anyone knows what happened. When I found him, I tried to call my vet. But they had stopped doing tort care. I'd like to get another tortie, but am 64 years old. So am I ethically to old?
As long as you have long term arrangements for a tort...and it’s not a huge species...age should not be a deciding factor. I’m no spring chicken...and for when I’ve moved on to the great Reptile Show in the Sky...my eldest son will be their caretaker...he already is caring for one during the each winter ..and we have a understanding about him being the steward of all the troops down the road. We wouldn’t have gotten baby Sulcatas without this understanding. Maybe check out an already established tort or rehome for your next one. Good luck

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'd like to get another tortie, but am 64 years old. So am I ethically to old?

I'd try to adopt one that is old. I don't know where you live, but rescues sometimes have old torts.

I'm 69, and I just got a 2.5 year old Burmese star. I do have a plan for him when I die or can't care for him.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
You're going to get different opinions on this, so it should be an interesting thread.

For me, the circumstances dictate the answer. I took my desert tortoise to an exotics vet for a wellness check, and was charged $340 !!! That's robbery! But it was good to hear that there weren't any stones growing in him or a parasite overload.

I now have a 2 year old Burmese star tortoise, and have no intention of taking him to a vet unless he gets sick. But I know he had good care before coming to me.

So I would say if you haven't had your tort very long, if you don't know what kind of care he got prior to you, if he's prone to bladder stones, is old, has probably never been to a vet...I think it's a good thing to do. But do go to an exotics vet, and be prepared for an exhorbitant cost.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
There are two parts to this question. One, you know all the research you did before you got your tortie? Do the same when looking for a tort(exotics) vet. Ask if they treat torts, if they're located where you're willing to go, a price list for basic tort care-fecal flotation, trimming beak, trimming toenails, overall physical and if they have been treating torts. Before I got Derrick, I was told that the best tort vet in upstate NY was 75 miles away. As I have health issues, that was out of the question, and what if he had an emergency? So I did a ton of research, calling vets, asking for price lists and experience with Russian Tortoises. At this point, your work is almost done. Now look up that vets rating on the Internet. It all paid off. I found a wonderful vet for Derrick, and they were very reasonable. Also ask if the vet does boarding in case you go go on vacation. Derrick's vet only charged $7.00 a night for boarding. I only had Derrick for seven years. He was 3 or 4 when I got him. Those seven years were wonderful and it was such a relief to have a good vet to supplement Derrick's care. Most torts have to have a worm check every year. So I took him every March for a physical and worm check. Then I took him as needed for beak trim or toe nail trimming. As we take 3-4 mini-trips a year, Derrick had 3-4 boarding sessions a year also.

I

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
you know all the research you did before you got your tortie? Do the same when looking for a tort(exotics) vet.

Good advice re' a vet. Where I went has multiple vets, and some are better than others for different exotics. The vet I saw treats tortoises, and even has a desert tortoise of his own.

The problem with this place is that the entire practice is owned by VCA, a huge corporation that buys vet practices. Their prices are much higher than independent vets', and the vet himself does not set the prices...VCA does. All VCA is interested in is money.

My friend has a dog that was bitten by another dog, and her eye was torn from the socket. We went to a different VCA practice and my friend was charged over $3000 to finish removing the eye and fixing the wound. There is no reason for that surgery to cost so much. When I told my regular vet about it, he was astonished at such price gouging.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Good advice re' a vet. Where I went has multiple vets, and some are better than others for different exotics. The vet I saw treats tortoises, and even has a desert tortoise of his own.

The problem with this place is that the entire practice is owned by VCA, a huge corporation that buys vet practices. Their prices are much higher than independent vets', and the vet himself does not set the prices...VCA does. All VCA is interested in is money.

My friend has a dog that was bitten by another dog, and her eye was torn from the socket. We went to a different VCA practice and my friend was charged over $3000 to finish removing the eye and fixing the wound. There is no reason for that surgery to cost so much. When I told my regular vet about it, he was astonished at such price gouging.
That