Should I just let my sulcata graze?

kcrawford457

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
So here's the deal. I've read source after source that states that the best thing to do is to just let your sulcata tortoise graze on the grasses in your yard, provided that they are pesticide and chemical free (which mine is). But my yard is fairly heavy in clover, and according to the Tortoise Table app, clover should only be fed in moderation. So what's best here? Should I just hand pick him a selection of grasses and greens from the yard that limit his clover intake or should I just let him outside for a few hours a day and let him go to town? Thanks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Personally, id let him graze on the clover & weeds & grasses. You can always supplement the feeding with other greens. But it‘s Summer. Hot, humid, sunny.

Now, how big of a Sully. Hatchling, juvenile or adult? Is the enclosure all set up for secure grazing, a good hide to get out of the sun, water?

Upload some pix - just augment the feeding with other stuff. Grape leaves, mulberry, cactus pads, a cup or so of mazuri once or so a week. Hibiscus, Rose of Sharon, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So here's the deal. I've read source after source that states that the best thing to do is to just let your sulcata tortoise graze on the grasses in your yard, provided that they are pesticide and chemical free (which mine is). But my yard is fairly heavy in clover, and according to the Tortoise Table app, clover should only be fed in moderation. So what's best here? Should I just hand pick him a selection of grasses and greens from the yard that limit his clover intake or should I just let him outside for a few hours a day and let him go to town? Thanks.
What size sulcata?

I'd let the tortoise graze, but keep him well hydrated by soaking every other day to prevent a bladder stone from forming.

Also, the tortoise needs to be in a large enclosure and not running loose outside. Trust me on this one or you will find out the hard way...

kcrawford457

Ohio
What size sulcata?

I'd let the tortoise graze, but keep him well hydrated by soaking every other day to prevent a bladder stone from forming.

Also, the tortoise needs to be in a large enclosure and not running loose outside. Trust me on this one or you will find out the hard way...

He's only a couple months old, so he's tiny (also I'm just saying "he" because as far as I've been told it's still too early to tell gender). He doesn't just run loose outside. He's in an enclosure indoors for most of the day and night. I've just been letting him roam for an hour or so outside to get some natural sunlight and to graze a bit if he wants to. While he's outside, he's in a wire "playpen" type of setup with a wire top on it so that a random critter or hawk can't turn him into a snack. He's only roaming in a 3'x3' area, which I figure is probably plenty for now since he's only 3 inches or so. He's supervised the entire time. Once I bring him in, I've been giving him a good soak for maybe 15-20 minutes in lukewarm water.