Should I hibernate at 3 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qweny

5 Year Member
I have 2 new hermann tortoises that will become 3 in September, I bought them less than a week ago and they must have been fed higher protein food at the pet shop. They are both large and one is overweight with the female at a size of 11.6cm and weighing 275g and the male at 10.5cm and a weighing 225g.

I am not sure if I should hibernate them since I live in the uk and we have a cool climate which will affect the tortoises, but I only recently got them and they may have not settled in in time for hibernation or may not be completely healthy.

I am worried I may not hibernate them properly as I have no experience hibernating animals and I do not want them to go to sleep and never wake up! :(

Can anyone suggest what I would do? If I should hibernate them, can anyone suggest a temperature to do so( I heard 5 degrees Celsius is appropriate)? Also how long should I hibernate these young tortoises for? How do I prepare them for hibernation?

Thanks, any suggestions or personal experience will be greatly appreciated!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Any tortoise that brumates (hibernates) in the wild can do so in captivity as long as all the proper and safe requirements are provided for the animal to do so. Even with all the requirements in place, things can and do go wrong. Not always, but the possibility always exists. Some people are comfortable brumating their tortoises, many others do not feel it's worth the risk. That decision can only be made by the keeper. The best advice I can give is to educate yourself as best as possible on the pros and cons of brumation, as well as the requirements for the animal and the many different methods including "natural" and "artificial" brumation and then decide if you are confident enough to do so. There is plenty of information on the internet, including this forum, about brumation both pro and con. Only if you are confident in doing so should you.
If you should decide not to do so, even for just this year, any temperate climate tortoise will survive absolutely fine and healthy if kept awake and active through the winter months.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Since you just got them I wouldn't hibernate them. I would do my research until next year and decide if you are comfortable or not with the process.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

qweny

5 Year Member
thanks for thee help guys,

i think i will put off hibernating for a year ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.