Should I give my tortoise up for adoption?

Should I give my tortoise away?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SassyKelz

5 Year Member
Do you know what variety of greens I can buy at a local grocery store? Also, I have a question for anyone who knows this answer. My tortoise seems to sleep a lot but if I rearrange his habitat then he starts to climb around everywhere and even climbs in the plants. Is this normal? Everyone says to not rearrange their habitats because its stressful but I don't feel like it is for him at least.
emysemys said:
No, since you love the tortoise, you just need a little attitude adjustment. Get rid of the idea that your tortoise needs more "attention" from you. A tortoise isn't like a dog, a cat or a bunny. All he wants from you is a clean habitat with clean water each day. A nice variety of food, heat and protection.

Your rabbit will benefit from a bigger variety of greens too. Buy a nice variety of greens so you can give the tortoise something different every week, and if it starts to get limp, give it to the rabbit.

Don't look to us to salve your conscience about giving up an animal you chose to be your pet. If you truly want to find the tortoise a new home, then do it, but if you love the tortoise like you say you do, just make some adjustments. He doesn't want or need personal attention from you, just proper care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you think you can give him the proper care, then keep him. However, we are going off of what you told us. By what you said, you aren't giving him the best of care or attention now. Up the care, keep the tort. If you don't have time to do that, rehome the tort. It won't be easy, unfortunately, but it would be the best thing for the tort.

SassyKelz said:
Do you know what variety of greens I can buy at a local grocery store? Also, I have a question for anyone who knows this answer. My tortoise seems to sleep a lot but if I rearrange his habitat then he starts to climb around everywhere and even climbs in the plants. Is this normal? Everyone says to not rearrange their habitats because its stressful but I don't feel like it is for him at least.
emysemys said:
No, since you love the tortoise, you just need a little attitude adjustment. Get rid of the idea that your tortoise needs more "attention" from you. A tortoise isn't like a dog, a cat or a bunny. All he wants from you is a clean habitat with clean water each day. A nice variety of food, heat and protection.

Your rabbit will benefit from a bigger variety of greens too. Buy a nice variety of greens so you can give the tortoise something different every week, and if it starts to get limp, give it to the rabbit.

Don't look to us to salve your conscience about giving up an animal you chose to be your pet. If you truly want to find the tortoise a new home, then do it, but if you love the tortoise like you say you do, just make some adjustments. He doesn't want or need personal attention from you, just proper care.

First, I have a leopard. He wanders around his enclosure every time I redo something in it. I feel like he gets bored, or more like familiar with the same thing every day and so when you change it up, he needs to investigate again. As for weeds, etc, from the grocery store, endive, mustard and collard greens, dandelion, optunia cactus, water cress, turnip greens. Then also check out the tortoisetable,org for other edible things. BTW, good luck on your decision.

SassyKelz

5 Year Member
Do you know or does anyone know of succulents that hermanns tortoises could eat? The seed thing reminded me that the local grocery store started selling succulents and I'm sure I could buy one or multiple and keep it in his home so he always has something to munch on.
Andrea M said:
Timer switches ensure adequate light and heat, growing your own seeds ensures a constant supply of food etc etc, there is always a solution to a problem, it sounds like you've made your mind up though, good luck with re-homing, in this case it sounds like the right decision

I didn't know they loved Dandelion. I can try buying the bushel although my rabbit is really small and can only eat a small amount a day. Do you know how long the leafs last in the fridge?
DaisyDuke said:
I've had rabbits. One was a Flemish giant who lived almost 12 years. I had him most if his life since he was bred by a friend. I can tell you that rabbits LOVE Dandelion. They devour that stuff and it's really good for them. So it won't go to waste if you give the rest to your rabbit.

I honestly find owning a tortoise to be no different than the rabbits I've had as far as my interaction with the them and care. And my rabbits sere litter trained and roamed the house freely. I loved them all the same. You've only had him a year and are already talking of rehoming. Maybe you're finding a tortoise isn't for you. I agree with the previous post that it sounds like you already know what you want to do and for some reason want confirmation from us.

I suggest that if you do choose to rehome him PLEASE make sure that you rehome to someone you trust who truly knows about your kind of tortoise. Don't just post him in the paper or on Craigslist. I think rehoming from the forum is great but make sure they're a trusted established member of the forum.

Please keep us updated.

First, I have a leopard. He wanders around his enclosure every time I redo something in it. I feel like he gets bored, or more like familiar with the same thing every day and so when you change it up, he needs to investigate again. As for weeds, etc, from the grocery store, endive, mustard and collard greens, dandelion, optunia cactus, water cress, turnip greens. Then also check out the tortoisetable,org for other edible things. BTW, good luck on your decision.
[/quote]

Maybe I should rearrange small things in it every few weeks. I might also add some stuff to the enclosure for him. I think I will keep him, I care too much to give him away. I think I can provide him with everything he needs but it's just a matter of information on how to do so. I'll go with the list to my grocery store and see if they have some of the stuff. Thank you!

Tom said:
Yes, I think you should give him away to someone who will be really passionate about him and give him all the things he needs, like variety in the diet and a larger enclosure.

Some people feel really bad about letting an animal go to another home. If its a BETTER home, I think it's a good thing. You ARE doing right by your animals if you give them to someone who will care for them and give them a good home. You should not feel guilty if your interest has waned. Tortoises are not for everyone. You are still trying to do what's best for him and that is admirable.

I just would like to say that the enclosure is big enough, I did section half of it off because he is reaaaally tiny. I don't think he needs a huge 40 gallon+ enclosure if he is less then 2 inches but maybe I'm not well informed on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.