Should I get a Sulcata? -new to the forum and questions (Repost)

Mares

Location (City and/or State)
Dayton
*Heads up, this is a repost, as I figured this could be applicable to this section as well*
Hello all! As you could probably tell from the title, I am new to the forum and considering buying a Sulcata. As far as introductions go, my name is Mary, and I am currently a college student considering majoring in Zoology/ Wildlife Biology. I have always been fascinated by animals and their environment, and am passionate about giving all of my exotic animals as close to their natural environment I can. I have owned fish, hamsters, rabbits, parrots, hermit crabs, and probably more that I just can't think of right now lol. I am new to the world of tortoises and reptiles, so bear with me :)

So, as I said, I am looking into buying a Sulcata. I have read all the Sulcata care posts on here that I've found, so I think I have a pretty good understanding of their basic care. High humidity and temperature requirements, closed enclosures, not too much outdoor time for young torts, daily soaks, dietary needs, humid hides, etc. I am sure I will come back with more questions on those topics lol, but for now I have a few specific questions.

For starters, what age do you recomend I buy the Sulcata? I found a reptile store near me that seems very professional and open, with good care (at least, from what I can tell). From what I've learned in my research (thanks guys :) , I think I want to get the tort pretty young, so that I can raise them under correct conditions (and so I can have them during their cutest stage lol). I'm not entirely sure what age the specific store I'm looking at has, but they seem to be between a couple months old to a few years old. I imagine I could also request a hatchling whenever the next batch hatches. Personally, I think I would enjoy getting the tort as a hatchling the most, so that I could have them from as young as possible and watch them grow, but I don't know if I should get them that young. I know that babies are more fragile and more vulnerable to temperature/humidity fluctuations, with less wiggle room for care. What do you guys think? If I do end up getting a hatching, are there any other things I should be aware of?

Beyond that, how much space would a baby need? I plan on building an indoor enclosure (probably around 4x8, and yes I'm aware that won't last long for a Sulcata lol). Until I finish building the enclosure, could I keep the baby in a bin (closed and with everything they need, of course)? How long could I keep them in there/how long would I have to complete the enclosure? Or should I wait until the enclosure is done before I get the Sulcata?

And finally, how much work and time do Sulcatas require? I understand the initial work of setting up the enclosure, buying the equipment, etc., but beyond that, how much upkeep do they require once everything is established and settled? For a tort that's 5-10 inches, what would my daily routine with them look like? Soaking, feeding, cleaning, outdoor time, etc.? And as they grow, how much more work and upkeep do they require?

For clarification, I volunteer at a exotic bird rescue, and I've decided that parrots are the highest maintainence pets there are lol. I have 4 budgies (parakeets) who pretty much have full reign of my house, and keeping up with them and their needs is pretty much a full time job. So how much work is a tortoise? I don't want to get a pet unless I know I can give them the best life I can, even with school, work, and other aspects of life.

Thank you all so much! I'm sorry this was slightly long-winded, so thank you for taking the time to read all of it lol. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say!

*Additionally, I forgot to mention in my original post that I currently live in Ohio. I will only be here for a few more years, and I plan to move south. I imagine that I have some time before the tort gets big enough that it has to live outside, but if it comes down to it, I there is a room off the side of my house that is heated, that the tort could have all to itself.*

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Mares

Dayton

Yes! This is actually the post that originally introduced me to this wonderful forum! I have read it more times than is probably socially acceptable lol. If I do end up getting a sulcata, I most definitely plan on using that as a blueprint for their care! Thank you so much!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As kost of us look at “New posts” which shows us what’s going on throughtout TFO, posting the same question a second time in a different part of the forum is not going to help you learn more. It’s better for all concerned to keep things in one place.

For others unaware what has been said so far, please see

Mares

Dayton
As kost of us look at “New posts” which shows us what’s going on throughtout TFO, posting the same question a second time in a different part of the forum is not going to help you learn more.

For others unaware what has been said so far, please see
Oops, sorry, I didn't realize! I just saw someone else on here with a similar query, and they told them to repost in sulcata section, so I figured I should probably do that too. Thank you for letting me know!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You seem like the perfect person for a nice baby hatchling Sulcata. I had lots of torts & turtles growing up, but never a hatchling. Got ours via forum member @Lancecham and never looked back. If i were you, id reach out to @Lancecham or @Tom and get one from a FORUM member that starts them right from the beginning. They are fun at all stages, hatchlings to juveniles to adults. Get a baby! if you follow @Tom ‘s Sully care guide to the T, you will have no issues. Fully enclosed chamber, proper heating, lighting, hide, soaking....and good right food.

good luck & think about a baby from a Forum member before Unknown local

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I 2nd that. Get a hatchling that you know is started correctly.. you will enjoy it very much and will have much less stress. Once your 4x8 enclosures is set up, it should last you 1-2 years. You wouldn’t want to move your tort out until is about 12” long which would probably be around 12lbs (give or take a few) .. if you have the enclosure ready with temps and humidity dialed in before your baby arrives, it will be a very smooth transition. Torts are not a high maintenance pet at all. (Sullies can be when they get big if you don’t have it a proper enclosure) They don’t want to play or share their time really. It would need daily soaks and fresh food . Keep it water available at all times.. we would love to keep up with your progress.. Good luck!