Should I buy incubated male or female?

lucymay57

Location (City and/or State)
BASINGSTOKE
Hi I am buying my first western Herman tortoise, sooo excited! I have a choice between an incubated male or female, I know that sometimes it doesn't work like that, I will only have one tortoise, I just wanted to ask apart from size is there any difference in temperament between male and female? Any info would be greatly appreciated

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Some breeders do incubate at certain temperatures to try and encourage male or female gender, but it's never a guarantee, so I honestly wouldn't even worry about it.

I have personally purchased two sets of Greek Ibera trios from a breeder friend of mine, 4 were incubated to be females and 2 were supposed to be males. After they grew for two years and were big enough to confirm genders, I ended up with ALL 6 being MALES! My friend felt bad, but that's just nature!

While many tortoise species have different sizes for different genders, the Western Hermann's itself is quite small. Adult females are about 5-6" in size, while males are 4-5." I do not keep Hermann's but have heard they are a pretty mellow species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I am buying my first western Herman tortoise, sooo excited! I have a choice between an incubated male or female, I know that sometimes it doesn't work like that, I will only have one tortoise, I just wanted to ask apart from size is there any difference in temperament between male and female? Any info would be greatly appreciated
The only tortoise species that have the TSD temps studied and known is sulcatas.

I think males tend to have a better personality as pets than females, but personalities vary.

Here is the current and correct care info:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree males make better tortoises, more out going and you don't have to worry about a female being egg bound. Females still lay eggs even without ever being with a male.
That said, there is no guarantee and also no guarantee the breeder did it right as far as the temps being steady.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
She said she will only have one tortoise!! Hahaha. Thats what we all said!

Seriously, best of luck. If you have a choice i would pick whichever you think you want to have. For at least 5 years it will be whatever you want it to be.