should i be worried?

Covey88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
in the past 2 weeks my redfoot (Indy) has flipped himself over at least 6 times some i catch quickly while home and some not so fast hours. nothing has changed as far as his cage set up and food. we did think he was after a yellow extension cord going to his bulb but i since rerouted out of site. i had to drain his little pond area inside his enclosure. yes it is an inside enclosure and water is only 1-2inches deep, in fear of him downing. is there any medical issues i need to have checked?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I went through this phase and a year later still do occasionally. Remove all climbing apparatus and if you find them flipped place in water ASAP to hydrate again. Also have a look at the enclosure along with care sheet advice and add some small rocks and plants to restrict line of vision and also look at the substrate type and depth, let it put its energy into digging and caving, what species do you have?

Covey88

5 Year Member
Ohio
Been working on plants as he eats everything I put in his cage. Have been doing fake plants or raising them. Will run threw the list again to see if I can find anything new to try.

Also he is a 10 year old redfoot rescue.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Been working on plants as he eats everything I put in his cage. Have been doing fake plants or raising them. Will run threw the list again to see if I can find anything new to try.

Also he is a 10 year old redfoot rescue.
Tortoises that old usually don't flip over very often and are better at righting themselves of they do.
A lot of times we must remove or modify items in the enclosure that favor safety over aesthetics.
No high/low transitions like walls or rock piles in the middle of the enclosure.
Nothing to encourage climbing in the corners. And no night houses that are flat sided or protrude high out of the substrate.
I have 5 female sub adult RF living outside and one is a confirmed flipper

I've had to re engineer everything for that one tort

Covey88

5 Year Member
Ohio
I moved some things again after watching him on camera Sunday morning.i just can't believe it has taken him a year to start doing this. How long can he be flipped over without health worries?
Tortoises that old usually don't flip over very often and are better at righting themselves of they do.
A lot of times we must remove or modify items in the enclosure that favor safety over aesthetics.
No high/low transitions like walls or rock piles in the middle of the enclosure.
Nothing to encourage climbing in the corners. And no night houses that are flat sided or protrude high out of the substrate.
I have 5 female sub adult RF living outside and one is a confirmed flipper

I've had to re engineer everything for that one tort
I moved some things again after watching him on camera Sunday morning.i just can't believe it has taken him a year to start doing this. How long can he be flipped over without health worries?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

It depends on where they flipped over. Not very long if it's under a light or in direct sun. Maybe 20 minutes.
In the shade or on a cool day a few hours.
Adults seem to fair better. But its really a case by case thing.

Covey88

5 Year Member
Ohio
It's an indoor enclosure day temps is in the 80* and not directly under light.

So it seems as if some cage modifications have help no issues in 3 days