Should I be worried about bugs in outdoor tortoise house?

Cajuju

Location (City and/or State)
California
So I have a large outdoor tortoise house that I built last June and I haven’t really had a problem with bugs. I don’t mind a few bugs, but today there were a lot of ants pulling out something white. Possibly another bug’s eggs.

I usually keep the food in a bowl and empty it out everyday. I also pick out any poop that I see as well.

I’m mostly worried about the thought of black ants swarming and killing my tortoises. My tortoises are over 1.5 years old and are about 5-6in long.

So should I be worried if there are bugs in my tortoise’s house? If so, what are some ways to get rid of them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes black ants move their eggs (for whatever reason). I usually vacuum them up so they don't set up shop elsewhere. Black ants are a nuisance but won't harm the tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have a large outdoor tortoise house that I built last June and I haven’t really had a problem with bugs. I don’t mind a few bugs, but today there were a lot of ants pulling out something white. Possibly another bug’s eggs.

I usually keep the food in a bowl and empty it out everyday. I also pick out any poop that I see as well.

I’m mostly worried about the thought of black ants swarming and killing my tortoises. My tortoises are over 1.5 years old and are about 5-6in long.

So should I be worried if there are bugs in my tortoise’s house? If so, what are some ways to get rid of them?
Bugs in general are normal and fine, but it does depend on the bugs. I'de get rid of the ants with Terro Ant Baits. Its just sugar water and boric acid, so relatively non-toxic if you aren't an ant.

What species of tortoise and how many?