1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Short vacation and tortoise not eating

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by helosoldier66, May 7, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. helosoldier66

helosoldier66 Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern Alabama
    Before anything is said I know that everyone says don’t leave them alone. The “but” is I didn’t have anyone that I could rely on anyway. So here is the story with questions to follow.

I have 3 adult female Redfoot and 6 Russians all above 4.5 inches in separate enclosures. Each enclosure is planted with approximately 18 different types of plants all edible and automated watering. I left all the tortoise in the enclosures when I left on Wednesday and returned Sunday night. When I returned I checked to make sure the Redfoot were all there (easiest to see) and all was good. The Russians were hard to find so only located a couple in the dark. This morning went to check them and it looks like a weed eater had been used in the Russian enclosure. They mainly consumed Pansies, Petunias, Cactus, Aloe, Kale and Kalanchoe plants and a few weeds. They didn’t eat any of the grasses from what I can tell. The Redfoot enclosure looks completely untouched except 2 small Kale plants that had been eaten on one side. I made them some Mazuri pellets and placed them near it and they went right to eating.

I can’t figure out what is going on with the three Redfoot they will eat almost anything I put on a plate or in a dog dish but don’t seem interested in planted foods. They also have a small pool to swim in but I have never seen them use it and the water is still clean.

1. Anyone else with a tortoise that seems to be institutionalized to a wooden box indoors?

2. How do I get them to eat the enclosure plants?
  2. daniellenc

daniellenc Well-Known Member

Maryland
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    If you're set on them eating your outdoor plants put those in a bowl and slowly offer less and less until they're eating plants all on their own. A few days on food strike is not a danger to a well hydrated adult tortoise.
    helosoldier66 likes this.
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    I take mazuri, soak it really good in enough water that there is water left over. I then smash up the mazuri really good, so there are no big chunks. I then take all of it, including the water and I spread it over the plants/weeds I want them too graze on. As they try to eat the mazuri they smell, they get the plants. Doing this a few times, should have them eating the plants without the use of mazuri.