Shopping list.

JamieG

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
Hi guys and girls.

We are looking into getting our first Tortoise. But we want people opinions on what’s best for them to live in? I’ve seen tortoise tables, vivariums and even book cases turned into home. I really like the look of the bookcase homes and it seems a really easy and relatively cheap thing to do to get maximum space.

Also what else do we need to get? Lighting, heat mat etc. What brands do you recommend.

I’ve seen a lot of people recommending to use top soil in the tortoise house, my question is how deep should it be?

I know it’s alot of questions. We’re not rushing the process of homing a tortoise but we want to make sure we have everything we need set up before getting one. Any other advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hi guys and girls.

We are looking into getting our first Tortoise. But we want people opinions on what’s best for them to live in? I’ve seen tortoise tables, vivariums and even book cases turned into home. I really like the look of the bookcase homes and it seems a really easy and relatively cheap thing to do to get maximum space.

Also what else do we need to get? Lighting, heat mat etc. What brands do you recommend.

I’ve seen a lot of people recommending to use top soil in the tortoise house, my question is how deep should it be?

I know it’s alot of questions. We’re not rushing the process of homing a tortoise but we want to make sure we have everything we need set up before getting one. Any other advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Do you know what kind of tortoise you want? Also, do you want a hatchling, juvenile, or adult?

JamieG

Kent
Do you know what kind of tortoise you want? Also, do you want a hatchling, juvenile, or adult?

Hello, I’ve been told Hermanns are the easiest and most popular so I think we would go for a juvenile one of those. Unless anyone can suggest other kinds that are suitable for beginner tortoise keepers.

Thank you.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello, I’ve been told Hermanns are the easiest and most popular so I think we would go for a juvenile one of those. Unless anyone can suggest other kinds that are suitable for beginner tortoise keepers.

Thank you.

You could also go with Russians or Greeks, bu Hermanns are a great choice! Here’s a care sheet that works for most testudos-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

That tortoise will need a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet as an adult, but you can start a hatchling in no less than a 40 gallon tank, or even better, a 4x2 foot enclosure. You can also just start them in the 8x4 foot enclosure, but I would block off half of it or have multiple basking spots and lots of hides/decoration.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana

JamieG

Kent
Hi everyone.

I went to a reptile place near me today. I was told a Vivarium is best for keeping in heat and humidity but I’ve read a lot on here and on tortoise Facebook groups that vivariums are not suitable??
My house gets very cold in the winter so I worry that a table isn’t going to be suitable.

Thank you.