Shocking Charlotte NC Craigslist!!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Some people can do the things beyond believe......

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Judgmental lot aren't you? You have no idea what these people are about. Ignorance doesn't warrant such hostility from a group of folks who claim to love tortoises and turtles yet seem SO willing to only judge and throw stones instead of educate and make sure this kind of thing does not happen any more. Which one of you has never made an unfortunate error in raising or keeping your animals? Anyone who claims this needs to look hard in the mirror and really be honest with themselves. All of you remind me of the pious people at church who look down their noses at the people who dare enter their church with sub-standard Sunday best needing help. Shame on all of you. Not a single one of you helped the situation here with your barbs. I can't begin to tell you how often words and actions such as these have served to make this type of situation worse. They NEVER make it better. Congratulations!

Jhwells46

Often people in NC find box turtles on the side of the road and decide to keep them as pets because they're cute. Our numbers of wild box turtles are dramatically dwindling in the state due to this and habitat loss. No where in the ad states how long they've been kept, which is why I emailed them for more information on them. If they were raised captive, then captivity it is. If they were taken from their natural habitat as a "free cute pet" and are healthy enough to be reintroduced to the wild, that is best for them. The rabbit, I'm working on a potential home for if I can't get the turtles without the rabbit.

Jhwells46

Judgmental lot aren't you? You have no idea what these people are about. Ignorance doesn't warrant such hostility from a group of folks who claim to love tortoises and turtles yet seem SO willing to only judge and throw stones instead of educate and make sure this kind of thing does not happen any more. Which one of you has never made an unfortunate error in raising or keeping your animals? Anyone who claims this needs to look hard in the mirror and really be honest with themselves. All of you remind me of the pious people at church who look down their noses at the people who dare enter their church with sub-standard Sunday best needing help. Shame on all of you. Not a single one of you helped the situation here with your barbs. I can't begin to tell you how often words and actions such as these have served to make this type of situation worse. They NEVER make it better. Congratulations!
Fair enough. My aim was not to be judgmental of the people in such a flippant way, and the statement about them procreating was something I should have kept to myself because, you're right, I don't know them. But to see two species placed in such a careless manner together, hurts everyone's heart on this forum. Especially considering that what we all see here in this ad is neglect and abuse per the photos that these people provided. It does make you question their integrity a bit. Forgive me if I've offended anyone but know that I intend on rescuing these animals as I am the only one as of yet who is close enough and willing to do so. If someone else would rather step in, be my guest. The animals deserve it. Nothing should have to live like that. Again, sorry for any offense that was taken. Still, I will peruse this and keep you all posted.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Fair enough. My aim was not to be judgmental of the people in such a flippant way, and the statement about them procreating was something I should have kept to myself because, you're right, I don't know them. But to see two species placed in such a careless manner together, hurts everyone's heart on this forum. Especially considering that what we all see here in this ad is neglect and abuse per the photos that these people provided. It does make you question their integrity a bit. Forgive me if I've offended anyone but know that I intend on rescuing these animals as I am the only one as of yet who is close enough and willing to do so. If someone else would rather step in, be my guest. The animals deserve it. Nothing should have to live like that. Again, sorry for any offense that was taken. Still, I will peruse this and keep you all posted.
I am not offended so much as I am disappointed in this community right now. These people need more help than these animals. They clearly do not understand what they are doing is wrong or they would hide it. Not post it on the internet for the world to see (and judge). Perhaps when you go get the animals you can speak with them about what they are doing and why they should never, ever seek to own these beautiful little guys until they have educated themselves better. I wish I were closer. I would gladly take all three and find a home for the rabbit. Please keep us posted on your progress with the animals AND the people who are doing this.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
@Jhwells46, I think we all felt your frustration but also understand your heart is in the right spot. Saleama is right though, even if a picture paints a thousand words, it doesn't always paint the correct picture. I am just glad someone in the surrounding area is willing to make a difference in these 2 Easterns lives. Please keep us informed Jhwell46 and thanks for your efforts.

Jhwells46

I am not offended so much as I am disappointed in this community right now. These people need more help than these animals. They clearly do not understand what they are doing is wrong or they would hide it. Not post it on the internet for the world to see (and judge). Perhaps when you go get the animals you can speak with them about what they are doing and why they should never, ever seek to own these beautiful little guys until they have educated themselves better. I wish I were closer. I would gladly take all three and find a home for the rabbit. Please keep us posted on your progress with the animals AND the people who are doing this.
I will do everything in my power to help all parties involved. I will keep you all informed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sorry for what I said at all. Common sense is all that is needed here. They are the ones that need to take a close look at themselves. As for my animals, no, I have never been an idiot and not given my animals the best I could. If you knew how much I have spent to keep my dog alive and well, you would not blanket that statement. Heck, I moved to get a bigger yard for my tortoises. So, no, I call them as I see them. Btw, I did email them, giving some suggestions on the housing of the turtles and the rabbit. The only thing, I have no idea if it got too them. Most, not all, of my emails from CL do not seem to get where they are suppose to go. Also, an FYI, I am one of the members that always suggest giving a friendly email and offering advice, or tell the pet store workers what they could do to better the life of the torts in the small no water cage, or offer help and suggestions to the CL ad that is housing a tort all wrong. Just didn't this time.

Kim444

5 Year Member
I think when you own an animal it is your responsibility to learn how to properly care for it. Perhaps we don't know the situation but we are just upset with the flippant post and them all being in the cage together.

If it were 3 kids unkept would it be ok to be upset? but because they are animals it's ok to not treat them right because of their situation? Just my opinion.

Jhwells46

Let's cease the arguing, it's not doing the animals, nor us, any good. We all have personal experiences with both animals and people in situations like this one that make us react in our own ways. Sometimes it's anger, sometimes compassion, sometimes empathy, etc. The simple fact is that the animals are in need, and we don't know all the facts. This is a passionate community, which is part of our strength. Instead of letting the emotions run high, let's instead be proactive and see what happens.

Jhwells46

I've sent them another email stating that I am working on a home for the rabbit but couldn't make any promises, but regardless to let me know about the turtles. I gave them my cell number and asked them to contact me at their convenience. If I get an update, I will let everyone on this thread know as soon as I do. Fingers crossed :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I'm not sorry for what I said at all. Common sense is all that is needed here. They are the ones that need to take a close look at themselves. As for my animals, no, I have never been an idiot and not given my animals the best I could. If you knew how much I have spent to keep my dog alive and well, you would not blanket that statement. Heck, I moved to get a bigger yard for my tortoises. So, no, I call them as I see them. Btw, I did email them, giving some suggestions on the housing of the turtles and the rabbit. The only thing, I have no idea if it got too them. Most, not all, of my emails from CL do not seem to get where they are suppose to go. Also, an FYI, I am one of the members that always suggest giving a friendly email and offering advice, or tell the pet store workers what they could do to better the life of the torts in the small no water cage, or offer help and suggestions to the CL ad that is housing a tort all wrong. Just didn't this time.
Well I suppose we are all not as perfect as you then. I am willing to admit I have made mistakes in the care of my animals over the years. If you are not then that is on you. I really hope that you are not judged as harshly as you seem to judge others. I honestly do not care how much you have done to keep your dog alive and well but you seem to want a reward for doing what you are supposed to do so here is your cookie. I suppose as a moderator you will simply remove this and give me some sort of warning. Do your worst. I am ashamed right now at a community that prides itself on helping people who are making mistakes fix them that chooses instead to talk trash behind their backs. Again I say, you are NOT helping any tortoises or turtles by doing that. You are possibly making their situation worse. You make someone ashamed of what they have done and they will NEVER seek your help. How is it possible you do not understand that?!?!?!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I think when you own an animal it is your responsibility to learn how to properly care for it. Perhaps we don't know the situation but we are just upset with the flippant post and them all being in the cage together.

If it were 3 kids unkept would it be ok to be upset? but because they are animals it's ok to not treat them right because of their situation? Just my opinion.
Not one time anywhere did I say that was acceptable. I guess in your world two wrongs make a right? I did not say that the situation those poor animals are in was not upsetting. What is upsetting is a community built around love and support of the animals and the people who care for them chooses to criticize and throw stones rather than seek to understand and provide assistance. People actually said they should not be allowed to have children and that they were going to be horrible parents based on their treatment of those animals. Forget your passion for the poor turtles and really think about how ignorant those statements are!
I am done here. To much judgment and negativity for me. I don't want to get struck by your lightning bolt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No reward trophy wanted, but I bet you wouldn't do it. Like I said, I did send them an email. Offered them advice on care. Like I also said, have no idea if they got it. What did you do, besides try to shame us? I have been here longer then you, but not as long as others. Gets pretty old seeing these same old kinds of threads. There is the Internet now and too any ways to find the proper way to care for living things. Heck, like I said before common sense is all that would have been needed here. Besides, I don't care much for stupidity when it comes to animals. You have your way, I have mine. That's what makes this country a great place, I don't have to believe what you do!
Now, let's get back to the subject of the animals, and the hope that someone will be able to give them a better life, which is what I believe we all really want anyway and so this thread doesn't get shut down or closed. Oh, FYI, I have never closed a thread. Don't break a rule and it shouldn't have to be closed.

Last edited:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Agree it's common sense. Not trying to bash on anyone. But common sense tells most of us not to put tortoises and rabbits together especially in such a small area. It's one thing to put 2 different species of tortoises together that could pass but this is just a lack of common sense not lack of knowledge.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Well hopefully these animals get scooped up by someone! :)

And in regards to members. I think it's perfectly acceptable for us to vent occasionally. We are a community and we look out for each other. We're definitely not aggressive or mean people. We are quick to respond with emotion because WE LOVE TORTOISES! No shame in that! :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
No reward trophy wanted, but I bet you wouldn't do it. Like I said, I did send them an email. Offered them advice on care. Like I also said, have no idea if they got it. What did you do, besides try to shame us? I have been here longer then you, but not as long as others. Gets pretty old seeing these same old kinds of threads. There is the Internet now and too any ways to find the proper way to care for living things. Heck, like I said before common sense is all that would have been needed here. Besides, I don't care much for stupidity when it comes to animals. You have your way, I have mine. That's what makes this country a great place, I don't have to believe what you do!
Now, let's get back to the subject of the animals, and the hope that someone will be able to give them a better life, which is what I believe we all really want anyway and so this thread doesn't get shut down or closed. Oh, FYI, I have never closed a thread. Don't break a rule and it shouldn't have to be closed.
I'm shaming you? Well aren't you something. Common sense is not so common as is often the case on these threads. And you a Mod here as well. I really hope that there are no lurkers here trying to decide if they should ask for help for any animals that are being raised in a way that would cause you people to wonder why they are allowed to have children and I sincerely hope that if you ever need any help that you do not get someone as judgmental as you are and that you get a sincere person who wants to help instead of trying to belittle you in anonymity on a public forum. You have NO idea what I do or what I have done for my animals and those in the care of others. None.
I have an idea, instead of using your position as a Mod to attempt to intimidate and attack people and say ignorant things about people who do not know how to care for their animals, why don't you ACT like a person in your position and do your job when people are not acting in a way becoming of the message this forum is attempting to spread?

Jhwells46

I'm not a moderator, but enough already. Please, take this up in a private message or take it to a debatable thread. If you have a personal bone to pick with someone, take it up with them privately. This threads purpose is to inform and help and no one can speed that process up when we've already done what we can. All we can do is wait. Seriously, this is becoming out of control and it's causing nothing but unnecessary tension.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Well hopefully these animals get scooped up by someone! :)

And in regards to members. I think it's perfectly acceptable for us to vent occasionally. We are a community and we look out for each other. We're definitely not aggressive or mean people. We are quick to respond with emotion because WE LOVE TORTOISES! No shame in that! :)
Except when you vent in such a manner someone who might be lurking and in need of help and information might not get it because they are scared away by the judgments being passed around. My concern is not only for these animals but for others. These kinds of threads are what drive people away from the help they need FOR the animal that is in need. There are so many [people out there who need help and then you have people on here saying they should research and learn how to raise their tort correctly. Well. If they see threads like this do you think they are going to jump in and ask for that help here? Or do you think they will feel shame and give up in embarrassment?

And I love these animals as much as anyone on here but I do not ridicule and speak ill of those who are doing something wrong. I attempt to correct them in a non-judgmental way. Tell someone who doesn't come here often or is just checking it out that there are not mean or aggressive people here. If this is their first thread, I am sure they will not think so.