Shirley in not acting like herself...

Location (City and/or State)
California
Shirley and I joined the forum in mid-April. Our introduction was here: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/say-hello-to-shirley.181341/ if you want to review our background.

Shirley has not been herself lately. She usually spends her days roaming around the backyard or climbing through her favorite bush. The past several days have been unusual. For several days previous, she'd go out---but would only hang out in the flower bed near the patio. She sleeps in "the cardboard condo" (a box) in the corner of the dining room---and comes to the sliding glass door at bedtime. On Friday she didn't come out of her box until around 3 pm. She ate a tiny bit (maybe), then turned around and went back inside. Yesterday, she emerged from the box around 1 pm, went out and sat in the closest flower bed. She didn't come in, though. Just as it was dark, I found her under her favorite bush and brought her in. Today, although we've heard her moving about now and again, she has not emerged from her box at all.

I don't know what to think. We've had her nearly 40 years---and have no idea how old she was before she came into our lives. I don't know if it's the weather, old age, or perhaps she ate something that disagreed with her, or something else. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you so much.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Well she is a California desert tortoises. So if she was almost full grown when you’re grandma found her I would estimate that she was at the very least 10 years old.. so that would put her at the minimum of 50 years old. Their lifespan is said to be 60-80 years old with some living longer. I would assume she’s just being an old lady. They can go a long time without water and food, although it’s not the best thing for them it doesn’t immediately mean that it’s sick or dying. I would suggest you do some extra soaks in a tub and make sure she has plenty of grass and weeds to eat. (Grass-weeds and such are their main diet) no fruit unless it’s a very rare treat and even then only give her a cactus pear or something that she might find naturally. She’s beautiful by the way. Honestly because she could have been 15-20 years old already I would make sure food and water are constantly near by and try not to let her stress. It dose look like she is at the end stage of her life. That doesn’t mean she will die soon or anything but because you don’t know I would be prepared.

California
Thank you for your response. I can't help but worry about the ol' girl. Yes, we've had her for about 40 years, but I've only had her the last few of those years. She probably is just old, but i hate for to be in pain. I hate the thought of her dying...but I know everything does. I just hoped I wasn't missing something else. Thank you.

Well she is a California desert tortoises. So if she was almost full grown when you’re grandma found her I would estimate that she was at the very least 10 years old.. so that would put her at the minimum of 50 years old. Their lifespan is said to be 60-80 years old with some living longer. I would assume she’s just being an old lady. They can go a long time without water and food, although it’s not the best thing for them it doesn’t immediately mean that it’s sick or dying. I would suggest you do some extra soaks in a tub and make sure she has plenty of grass and weeds to eat. (Grass-weeds and such are their main diet) no fruit unless it’s a very rare treat and even then only give her a cactus pear or something that she might find naturally. She’s beautiful by the way. Honestly because she could have been 15-20 years old already I would make sure food and water are constantly near by and try not to let her stress. It dose look like she is at the end stage of her life. That doesn’t mean she will die soon or anything but because you don’t know I would be prepared.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Also shouldn’t your name be Shirley’s nephew? ? lol

But seriously it could be years until she passes, I’m not an expert but to me it just sounds like she’s being old. You’re doing a good job and if you need help or want to know something then this site should be your go to.. it’s the only place that I have found relatable advice and support.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
She could just be old, but also there might be something else going on.

I would start by picking her up and thoroughly inspecting every nook and cranny on her body. Feel all the soft skin places, and the underside of her carapace (top shell). Look for anything...bug bites, scrapes, bruises, a twig or burr, anything at all that doesn't seem right. Check the bottoms of her feet, and get a good look at her plastron (bottom shell). Nice and firm to touch? Any red or pink showing through the shell? How about her head? Any swellings? Look at her ear dimples. Any swelling there? Mouth OK? Any discharge from her nose? Does her breathing sound normal?

Try to find a recent poop, of follow her til she does one. Is she straining? Is the poop normal looking? Take a stick and poke it open...any blood? Is it fibrous? Normal consistency?

Do the same with a pee. Put her in a tub of warm water and most of the time they will pee and poop in the water. Any red in the pee? Any urates (white creamy stuff)? If so, is it gritty? Like toothpaste?

Are there any new plants in her yard that you did not plant? Are you positive that every plant she can get to is safe for her?

If you find nothing, consider taking her to a qualified exotics vet for blood work and an x-ray.

California
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the advice. I put her in a tub of warm water for a while. Nothing happened. I put her out in the sun and fed her. She ate...and then peed. It was a lot---both white and (mostly) clear. When she was done, she wanted back in the house and went straight to her box. She was outside a total of an hour or so. At least she peed. Thank you for your help. I'll keep an eye on her.

CHEERS!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is it very hot wherever you are in CA? I'm wondering if she's trying to aestivate.

I would be sure to soak her every day for at least 30 min. If she tries to get out, that's OK. It's good exercise and helps get the pipes unclogged :) With her inactivity poop could be getting a bit backed up. Make sure she is warm enough. It's much colder on our floors than the upper part of the room. If she isn't warm enough, she won't eat or be active.

Is she basking? Either inside or out? Do you have a basking bulb set up for her inside?

I know I'm all over the place in this post. I'm putting down anything as it pops into my head.

Please keep us updated.